Delay between sectors in playback

todsweeney

I attach the log for a recent burn.

I guess that this may reveal why, when playing the DVD on my Sony Blur--ray BDP-S3700/BDPS1700, play stops and starts between sectors.

Can anyone, with the knowledge to read the log, please advise me what has caused this problem.

There are 14 sectors, which can be selected individually and play ok, but when play full movie is selected, the problem occurs.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Log 08.03.2019.txt

I'd first try a DVD-R other than those made by Ritek.  (Disc ID: RITEKF1)  Ritek can cause a lot of burning, Verify, and playback issues.  Try Verbatim DataLife Plus/AZO media.  NOT the Life Series media you find in brick and mortar stores; that's worse than Ritek!   You'll only find the good stuff online.  I'd first rule out if it's the Ritek discs.

Thank you, dbminter, for responding to my query and you recommendation.

I have trawled the net and realise that purchasing good quality DVD discs can be a bit of a minefield. The Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden series being no exception when trying to ascertain country of manufacuture. However, I made a choice and will post results when I eventually complete a burn. 

Be aware that the current Taiyo Yuden is not the same company of old.  The old company used to make some of the best quality media out there, and then they decided to get out of the market.  Their brand name was bought by CMC Magnetics, which makes the worst media on the market.  So, it goes to reason that CMC probably just slapped a well known name on their junk media to mislead people.

Thank you for last info.

I have today burned my video project (refered to in my first post) onto, as suggested, a Verbatim/AZO DVD-R  disc at 8x speed. Regretably, the same result as before on a cheaper disc, in that selecting 'Play Movie',  the playback stutters between sectors both on pc VLC and TV. On the latter, the next sector title (chapter) is displayed on screen which doesn't help.

Not sure what to do next to resolve this. Any further thoughts?

I attach the log file for reference.

ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 Log 23.03.2019.txt

Now, are you sure these stutters aren't in the original VIDEO_TS output you have?  Try playing the DVD from the VIDEO_TS folder from the hard disk you're importing in Build mode, inferring you used Build mode to create this image.  See if you get the same stuttering between sectors.  It seems highly unlikely you'd get the same results from playback both on a PC DVD drive and a standalone DVD player unless it wasn't in the original video.  The other common denominator is the DVD burner you're using.  Maybe it isn't very good.  I know LiteOn drives can add random pauses to DVD Video that aren't layer breaks.  I don't know what track record the TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB has.

What is the source of this image?  Did you Build it from a VIDEO_TS folder or was the ISO generated by another application?  Other application generated ISO's are well known for producing output that isn't right.

Many thanks for your responses.

As you suspected, the fault is in the VIDEO_TS folder.

I produced menus and authored the DVD using DVDstyler. I split my video into 14 sectors/clips then authored using two Main menus and three Titleset menus. The authoring works fine on VLC and stand alone DVD player, as does the playing of individual sectors when selected. Playing the whole movie is where the issue occurs.

I have posted my query on the DVDstyler Forum, where I have previousley received very helpful guidance, for comment/advice.

I will keep you 'posted' if I am successful with this.

• 2 weeks later...

With reference to my last post, in order to be able to burn my project in its entirety, it was necessary to change how I dealt with my movie in DVDstyler. Instead of inserting individual scenes into the project, I replaced these with the whole movie and added chapters. This resolved the problem to which my previous postings refered ie. the video stalling between sectors when burned to disc. Not ideal, after the effort of producing individual scenes.

Wait, are you sure these aren't the pauses that occur naturally between title sets?  Are these scenes added as their own individual title sets?  For instance, if you had 5 scenes, are there 5 title sets?  Or did you add all 5 scenes in one title set?  The software may have added pauses between the scenes you added.

All scenes, together with 3 menus containing 14 scene selections, are in one Titleset. This of course changed with the new, successful, project, where the whole video replaces the 14 scenes in the one Titleset.

Could the issue be due in some way to 'layer breaks' ? Even resorting to using chapters to achieve a successful burn, I had to keep reducing the content of my video from 28 to 22 mins in order for it to fit onto a DVD-R disc. This was achieved eventually, by using DVDshrink to reduce the main and scene selection titles in VMGM (fortunately not necessary to further encode the main video).

I don't understand the difference.  It sounds like both ways you're putting all 14 scenes in one title set.

Well, it's always possible the software is adding 14 non-seamless layer breaks, one after each scene.  Since you say DVDShrink removes these pauses, it could be the case.  You could try using DVDShrink without compression.  That may give you uncompressed video but remove all the layer breaks.

There is more than 1 pause, correct?  If there's just the one pause, that's the single DVD-9 layer break.  But, DVDShrink CAN (Doesn't always work.) remove the layer break if you have that option set in the software.  Plus, some idiots author DVD's with more than 1 layer break :o and some are non-seamless.  And the really annoying ones require IFOEdit to fix!  :angry:  Hell, I even found a layer break once on a DVD-5!  :rolleyes:  And it COULDN'T be removed!  Any attempt failed and produced a non-playable DVD.

Probably my wording has caused confusion. In my original project, the 14 scenes refered to, are seperate video clips in the Titleset, whereas in the revised project, the whole video ie. all 14 clips combined, is the only video in the Titleset.

Yes, there is a pause between each scene/clip.

Thanks, I will try your suggestion with DVDshrink.

I think you're confusing the definition of Title Set.  You've most likely either got one Title Set with 14 scenes or you've got 14 Title Sets, one for each scene.  If you've got 14 Title Sets, the pauses may simply be when the DVD player is accessing the next Title Set on the disc.  However, I think, didn't you say you were seeing these pauses in VLC when playing the VIDEO_TS from your hard drive?  If so, you shouldn't see a noticeable pause in the video unless the software that made the VIDEO_TS added something it shouldn't have.

No, I've only refered to one Titleset. In both the previous and the current projects, there is only one Titleset.

No, again sorry for any confusion (I'm new to this DVD and Authoring and, as you've probably noticed, the terminology).It was the Disc Image file when mounted and played in VLC that showed the pauses. But the VIDEO_TS file, as mentioned previously, plays ok.

I thought the reason for the pause problem may have showed up in the log I included with my first post.

Odd.  It is interesting the pauses only occur when you play a physical disc and don't occur when you mount the image and play that via VLC.  If the problem was in the VIDEO_TS output or the image, it would show up in VLC when you played the VIDEO_TS/mounted image file.

Thank you all very much for your input and assistance.

I include the following, not for any particular purpose, just for information really.

From the ouset, I imported AVI clips into my MvP editor then exported as mpeg2. Assuming the best way forward, at the time, I cut the video into segments which were then imported into DVDstyler for authoring (using this programme, was  an education in itself but I managed it with a little help from friendly people such as yourselves). Due to the inclusion of a short intro video, menu's (the total of these being 700mMB according to DVDshrink) plus the video clips. In ImgBurn, the total project size was 4.4GB. Far too big. The main video content being only 1hr 28mins which I had to reduce, using Quick Media Convertor- DVD Format HQ, to 1hr 22mins , plus shrinking the titles, for the project to fit the DVD-5 disc.There is much more to this saga, but beyond boring and too much to relate.

It's been a long journey and I have learned a lot in respect of authoring and burning, (although the original issue still bugs me). I will continue using ImgBurn for its ease of use (the humour, when a simple error is made) also the help and advice I have received.

Many thanks.

As you describe in the last post this seams to be cumbersome. As I see it in your description you complicate things that don't need to be complicated.

First, I don't know what MvP editor is but that don't matter.

Why are you converting AVI to mpeg2 than cut to scenes (segments, as you say) than author the project than if it don't fit, shrink it to fit DVD 5?

This could be done in one go from AVI to DVD Video with pretty much any decent authoring program and that includes intro movie, menus, titles sets, chapters... and all should fit in one DVD 5. I'm pretty sure DVDStyler can do this. You can also try DVD Flick.

In one DVD 5 at standard quality it should fit 2 hours (120 minutes) no problem. That's including motion menus and intro movie. Set the audio to Dolby rather to PCM if that is an option in the authoring program. That will let more room for video quality.

You just need to set the target to DVD 5 in the output project and the program should do it's thing and squeeze the project to fit DVD 5.

There are some weird compression cases where even less than 120 minutes of input will generate DVD-9 sized VIDEO_TS outputs.  It's rare, but I use ConvertXToDVD to convert some containers in the past that were under 2 hours, but generated DVD-9 sized VIDEO_TS output.  My only explanation was how the source file was authored.  Some kind of compression that maybe didn't really compress very well.  Or could be, as you say, the audio format of the sound track in the container might not have been a compressed one.

I still don't understand what the OP is saying when you says he had 1 video title set (VTS) regardless of how he authored the input.  Adding each "scene" as its own "chapter" would create a single VTS.  Adding each scene on its own should create a VTS for each scene.  Then again, I'm not familiar with the conversion software he's using, so it may behave oddly.

In thanking you for your responses, I must appologise for the delay in this latest post.

I misguidedly thought it preferable to compress the AVI files to mpeg2,  prior to importing the project into the authoring programme as the total project size of AVI is substantial. I haven't yet tried the more straightforward way suggested but I will, and see if this makes a difference.

With regard to the Titleset reference, if your familiar with DVDstyler authoring programme, initially I cut the edited (MoviePlusX5) movie into 14 scenes and imported these into DVDstyler, together with 3 menus, in 1 Titleset. In the VGM I put my intro in Menu 1 with Scene Selection and Play All buttons in Menu 2. Whilst the authoring was ok it was too big to fit a DVD-5 for some obscure reason. Next, upon advice given, I imported the complete movie, without cutting, into DVDstyler and created chapters from this. So, as opposed to the first example , this time there is just the whole movie and the 3 menus in the 1 Titleset, the VGM being as before. Again authoring was ok  but it still would not fit the disc and that is why I had to convert and shrink in order to succeed.

I hope the above is a reasonable explanation.

ianymaty, If you read my earlier postings, you will note that they related to ImgBurn. My latest post, to which you refer, was merely in response to your and dbminter postings. Provided, incidentally, for information only. Maybe I needn't have bothered.

I am aware of and have indeed been communicating in DVDstyler Forum, which is also mentioned in my previous postings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.