How To Create ISO File?

abrogard

Hi..

I wanted to create an ISO file - that's an image file, right? 

And I've seen a 'how to' showing Imgburn creating an ISO as an image file.

But I got a .bin and a .cue file, no ISO.

What's doing?  I'm using win10, is that the problem?

Could be a mult-track CD?  If it were a true data CD, with no audio track on it, it would read to an ISO, I'd think.  I just tried it with a data CD and it read to ISO.  But, you said it was a game installation CD, so it may not necessarily be a data CD only, especially if you need to insert the disc in the drive in order to play it.

well how to judge 'correct' ?  It mounts and installs/runs the game without fault.

what does 'mode 1/2048' mean?

I note you are the author of imgburn.  Congratulations.  A great piece of software I've used for years.  Let me be quite clear I am not criticising it.

It simply didn't make an ISO for me on this occasion and I questioned this.  Since then I've merely reported facts as they came to light.

regards,

ab    :)

Well... if you want to faithfully reproduce a disc (copy it), you need all of the info.

If you’re losing some of it by converting to mode1/2048 byte sectors, it’s not a true copy. CDs have mode 1 and mode 2 sectors you see.

Chances are, if you’d just specified the destination file name yourself and picked the iso format, the program would have warmed you that your disc didn’t belong in an iso but it might be possible to convert the sectors on the fly so that it could be put in one.

I don't know what I wanted in those technical terms.

If it were going to another disk then I'd say, yes, I want a perfect copy.

But as it is destined to go onto a disk to be run by a virtual drive - so's I don't  have to go through the hassle of having the thing in the physical drive all the time, whenever I want the game up,  and thereby hogging the drive  - then I just want whatever will work.  So picking between the technologies: 1/2048 and 2/2048 ?  I wouldn't know.

Perhaps that .cue & .bin output could have served the purpose?  I don't know.

So what did that other program do, then?  It served up an ISO and said nothing about the disk 'not belonging' in an ISO.  Presumably because the authors figured it didn't matter,  anything it produced would be viable and avoid angry customers. 

It depends on what it’s going to be used for. I tend to do things the correct way in order to avoid problems later down the line.
In your case, yes, it appears to have worked. In others it may not and you’d need the bin/cue version - where you then mount the cue file and have a faithful ‘virtual’ representation of the disc in your virtual drive, not one that’s ‘almost’ right.

well there, see - I was't aware I could mount the cue file.    If I'd known that I would have been satisfied with it.

I just looked and windows explorer doesn't give the option of mounting the .cue the way it does with a .iso.  How would I mount it?

VLC tried to play it and of course couldn't.

ah....  I've found a free prog:  wincdemu.   It does it.  a bit miraculously.  I point it at the .cue and it mounts it and all plays well.  so it must have looked for the .bin itself and found it and ran it.

So thanks.  I've learned a bit here, from you.  To get the best copy use whatever imgburn gives me and if it's .bin .cue I mount it with wincdemu.

Lovely.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.