Never succeeded in making an autorun disc for Visual Studio 2017

Dioxazine

I download all the files for Visual Studio 2017 and what I wanted to do was to make an autorun or bootable disc for it. I tried and tried and tried. I burned through about 12 disc. All failed. All that happened was when I double-clicked the drive instead of the setup program starting which is what I wanted to happen, all I saw was the contents of what I burned on the disc. No setup program ever started.

I made an autorun file and placed that first in the ImageBurn window. Then I placed the programs icon (vs_professional.exe) second in the ImageBurn window. Finally, I placed the folder contain all the programs folders and files. That was called Visual Studio Professional 2017. 

Nope. Never worked.

Plus I could not understand why ImageBurn made two .iso files. It would make one that was the size of my program, say 986 MB. But then it would make another .iso that was really small say 1267 KB or something. I could not understand what ImageBurn was doing. I should have had only one .iso representing my program.

Very difficult to accomplish this.

All I wanted to do was when I inserted the program disk in my drive I wanted to see the program's icon on the drive, and when I double-clicked the drive I wanted the setup program to begin.

Nope. Never got there.

Edited by Dioxazine

It can't make 2 ISO's of the same file name unless you have a really big problem with your HDD file system.  So, there must be 2 different file names with the .ISO extension.  So, what would have happened is either one ISO is from a Read job or they're 2 different ISO build jobs where you or ImgBurn changed the output name.

You say you put the EXE containing the icon and the AUTORUN in the root directory, but what exactly are the contents of your AUTORUN.INI?  Is VS_PROFESSIONAL.EXE the main executable or just the icon file?  Plus, can Visual Studio 2017, being a new application, actually be run from a disc or is it just the installer that would run from the disc?

If you have them, use DVD+-RW discs to avoid going through discs when you're testing something like this.  That way, you can reuse the same disc over and over.

Plus, are you using Windows 10?  I never nailed it down before but I don't think any discs ever automatically executed programs when I inserted them in a drive in Windows 10.

The autorun file was exactly correct. It contained the correct lines. VS_Professional was both the application icon plus the main executable. I'm not on Windows 10. But as you pointed out I'm beginning to think that this program cannot be made into a bootable disc. 

Especially if it's a modern application, which something from 2017 is, and it's installed with some kind of installation program, you can't just run the installer, copy over the installed files to a disc, and expect it to run.  There's all kinds of Registry entries for various hooks and files that make it much more complicated to run software today versus 25 years ago.

I'm not copying any files. I'm not running the installer. There are no registry entries yet because the program has not been installed. I was trying to make an autorun disc that ran the setup program once I double-clicked on the drive. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.