Create Image from Disk.... iso versus bin

natgild

I have been using Imgburn for years, largely to save  my CD's on hard disk.  With newer versions of Windows, I am able to just mount an iso file generated by Imgburn without additional software.  Recently I noted that Imgburn generates .bin/cue files instead of iso files, at least with some CD's.  It appears I can not just mount the bin/cue file in Windows without additional software.  Is there a way to force Imgburn to create an iso file instead of bin/cue?

BIN/CUE will always be used for audio CD's.  I don't know about audio CD's that have a data track on them.  But, pure audio CD's will use BIN/CUE, unless you have the option enabled to create .CCD (CloneCD) files.  Then .IMG will be used.  Unless it did it with older versions, I don't think ImgBurn ever saves audio CD's as ISO.  And I don't think there's a way to save to ISO in ImgBurn.

Hm, that sounds like a data CD.  Don't know about data CD's, but I thought they were saved as ISO's, not BIN/CUE.  I thought BIN was reserved specifically for audio CD's.  When you put the CD in a drive and open the drive in Windows/File Explorer, what happens?  Does a folder open showing the contents or does an application open something from the CD?  If it's the first, then it's a data CD.

As a test, I created a small data CD image in Build mode.  I then mounted that ISO as a virtual drive and had ImgBurn read an image of the virtual drive.  It created an ISO from the data disc.  So, it does use ISO for data CD's and BIN for audio CD's.

What this means for you I can't say.  If it's a data CD, it should be reading as an ISO.  Unless they somehow changed the formats of the discs they sent you.  However, I'd have thought that ImgBurn would check for actual audio tracks on an audio CD before selecting BIN/CUE for the output.

If you really want an ISO and it is a data CD and not an audio CD, what you can do is start Build mode and drag and drop the contents from the disc you wanted to image.  Then build a new image file that will be saved to ISO, unless you have file splitting turned on so that the image will be chopped up into smaller parts based on whatever threshold you set for splitting.

Thanks for all your help. The CD has an autorun program that opens when I double click on the CD listing in Explorer.  When I tried changing the file type to .iso when creating a disk image, I  get a warning from "Yoda"  that iso is not an appropriate Container format for the disk. However Imgburn offered to try to convert from Mode2/Form1 to Mode1 and if was SUCCESSFUL!!  Thanks to all for your help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.