PLayback speed

TheSkipper

Reads, saves, writes, and verifies OK, except that the playback speed looks and sounds as if running slightly fast at about 1-1/4 speed. Not as bad as playing a 45rpm record at 78 rpm :>)  Wonder how many remembers those terms LOL. Same on various DVD players and/or recorders. Using Dell Latitude D620 Laptop, Windows 7 Ultimate.

Edited by TheSkipper
left out info cantained in last sentence

I said that one group of DVDs came from my DVR via on-board DVD recorder. The source was from the Canadian Broadcast Co. (region 1) The other source was a DVD ordered from Germany of a movie unavailable now in the USA. The NTSC came through fine. I am going to try on stand alone  DVD players to see in the problem might be the built in drives on Dell laptops.

I had sent this as a reply to LightningUK, but don't know where it went.

The German DVD might be PAL.  If you have a DVD player that supports R2 or the DVD is region free and if you have a TV that supports PAL, then you might be able to play a German DVD if it's in PAL.  PAL DVD video is sped up because of the different types of TV's they use.  Just a thought.

The movie is a 1945 Walt Disney that was banned in the US due to objections by some racial groups. Not sure how it got to Germany, but at any rate it was most likely first sold there in PAL format. Since European line frquency is 50 hz, the TV picture is 50 frames per second. If converted to region 1 NTSC at that fifty frames per second, and then played at the US line frequency of 60 hz,  the  playback would be 60 frames per second, and would result in a speed-up of 1.2 (60/50). Not sure if that's the root of my problem, but it sounds good, eh? My DVD player isn't PAL, but I have one on order that is NTSC/PAL, all regions. (JVC)

Let me guess.  This movie is Song Of The South.  While too many people exploded over that movie for very little valid reason in the United States, Disney continued to distribute it on home video in Europe and Asia.  My DVD is a Chinese release, so it's NTSC.  Amazingly, it's in English.

Disney last released Song Of The South to home video and television in the United States in 1985.

Since it's German, makes me wonder if Germany, post war, has ever seen the US WW II propaganda Disney short, Education For Death.

Right on, DB,

The objection was that it misrepresented the old South slavery. Well no kidding. The time line is in the reconstruction period about 20 years after the war. Clue... Uncle Remus decides to leave and just walks away. If he had been a slave, the hounds would have set loose. I saw the movie in a Nashville downtown theater when it was first released in '45. When it had the short release c1985, it made one round in the theaters, and we took our son and his wife to see it. We were living in Ohio at the time, and there were no signs of dissension there. We are retired and back home in TN now.How good is your copy? Mine is a little grainy

BTW, the other movie I was running through were for my own back-ups of some of the Murdoch Mystery series from Canada, now in its 12th+year. Really fun to watch.

TheSkipper

Yeah, narrow minded people like to think Song Of The South glorifies slavery, when, it quite clearly states the film is set during Reconstruction.  People will always find some cause to rally behind, even if it has no merit.

I'm pretty sure my copy is a VHS to DVD conversion given fancy menus.  It does have a special feature with a radio spot for the then recently released movie.  But, it was the only way I could see it since Disney refuses to even acknowledge the film exists anymore in the United States.

I think this DVD might be a bootleg.  If you examine the contents in DVDShrink, there's a video stream you can't access anywhere.  This stream is of the Warner Brothers banned cartoon Coal Black And Da Seben Dwarfs.  It's highly unlikely two cartoons from competing studios would be released on the same DVD if it were authorized.

When I read your last night's posting early this morning, I wasn't familiar with DVDShrink, so I researched it and liked what I read, so I downloaded and installed it.After a little experimenting, I found the best way to read it is that it works best using the full scan option even though it says not necessary.. I wrote the resulting program to disk using BurnAware. All came out fine.

I know my DVD is a copy due to the paper label on the disc. It is in a very nice box with title and review, but no studio or copyright info. It does however have extras: 1946 radio plug with Johnny Mercer singing, a 1972 TV trailer, and a 1986 theatrical trailer ending with"Coming soon to a theater near you". It also has a chapter selection menu for some of the select tales and songs. It doesn't have the cartoon you mentioned.

BTW, I'm in TN 30 miles due west of Nashville (where I was raised). Retired in 2001.

TTFN

It sounds like you have the same DVD as I do, although mine doesn't have a paper label on it.  And the extra cartoon can only be "played" in DVDShrink or extracted with DVDShrink and made into its own DVD.  My DVD has the two trailers you mentioned along with the radio spot.  Although your DVD might be an R2 PAL one it sounds like whereas mine is an apparently region free Chinese made NTSC one.

I live close to you, actually.  I'm in Owensboro in Kentucky, just on the state line with Indiana before you get to Evansville.  Where I was also born and lived most of my life, except for like a 5 year period in Phoenix, AZ.  I became disabled in 2007.

I have DVDshrink, but that film isn't included on my Sots. However, I found it on youtube, so downloaded and saved it.

I'm very familiar with your stomping grounds. When I was living in St. Louis and had to make trips to Bowling Green, It was through there and down the parkway to BG. A very nice scenic drive.

We are VERY dry (0.27" total rain in Sept), So I need to get up early to set up a temporary fence so the cows can be turned in to a normal hay pasture to feed on whatever grass has not yet burned up, but is too skimpy to bale.

TTYL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.