Jump to content
daysinnfan52

Where did the sounds come from for the finished and error sounds?

Recommended Posts

I have noticed a similarity between CloneDVD and ImgBurn.

The sounds of the error, saying "Oh No!" came from ImgBurn, seen here.

The sounds of the error, saying "Oh No!" came from CloneDVD, seen here.

The sounds of the success, playing island music, came from ImgBurn, seen here.

The sounds of the success, playing island music, came from CloneDVD, seen here.

Notice they are the same.

Just wondering, where did you guys get the sounds from?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably from CloneDVD then... I'm not really sure, it was forever ago as I'm pretty sure they were used in DVD Decrypter too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LIGHTNING UK! said:

Probably from CloneDVD then... I'm not really sure, it was forever ago as I'm pretty sure they were used in DVD Decrypter too.

 

Ok, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That's funny! I noticed this as well and was wondering what came first, the chicken or the egg! :D

DVD Decrypter has the same two sound files. Both Error and Success files are binary identical between DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD. However, in ImgBurn (2.5.8) only the Error sound file is binary identical to the Error file from the former two programs. For some reason, the Success sound file in ImgBurn fails to match up against what you find in DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD. Although they all sound the same when you play it back. Perhaps the Success sound file used in ImgBurn was opened in a wave editor and re-saved at some point during development? That would be my guess, because it's still the same size. Also, in addition to the Success and Error sounds, CloneDVD has a Wait sound up its sleeve that's not present in either of the other two programs. It's some sort of click sound.

ImgBurn

C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\Sounds

Name: Error.wav
Size: 35.0 KB (35,930 bytes)
MD5: EFAD8C5D6CC6CAE180EBE01CE3A60C88
SHA-1: 614839975C1F07161F3C26BA2AF08AE910B21C61

Name: Success.wav
Size: 66.4 KB (68,064 bytes)
MD5: FD8177D61C8DD032DD262BF979D852F6
SHA-1: AC64E21B7C80E996BCB369B6023BEC4191568A52

DVD Decrypter

C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Decrypter\Sounds

Name: Error.wav
Size: 35.0 KB (35,930 bytes)
MD5: EFAD8C5D6CC6CAE180EBE01CE3A60C88
SHA-1: 614839975C1F07161F3C26BA2AF08AE910B21C61

Success.wav
Name: 66.4 KB (68,064 bytes)
Size: MD5: BF83613C7B6B830E135F7BA077750099
SHA-1: 05EF56BA73C880B44512F0EED80FCBDA7C486BD9

CloneDVD2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2\sounds

Name: error.wav
Size: 35.0 KB (35,930 bytes)
MD5: EFAD8C5D6CC6CAE180EBE01CE3A60C88
SHA-1: 614839975C1F07161F3C26BA2AF08AE910B21C61

Name: success.wav
Size: 66.4 KB (68,064 bytes)
MD5: BF83613C7B6B830E135F7BA077750099
SHA-1: 05EF56BA73C880B44512F0EED80FCBDA7C486BD9

Name: wait.wav
Size: 19.6 KB (20,166 bytes)
MD5: C17FD7861B7186AD5772DE24B1F79BD7
SHA-1: 378CEE7F363BEDDEE91D43C136730F5C124B667E

You know what they say, good artists copy, great artists steal. :lol:

The best sound ever is the sound of success! I love that island music!

Edited by Ken852

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The success one was too loud (it used to scare people), so I’m pretty sure I adjusted it down slightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I know what you mean. In the beginning, I used to get startled by the level of success! ^_^

I have the sounds disabled at the moment. But it was a very nice touch, I have to say. I have fond memories of using ImgBurn back in the heyday, and hearing that signature melody would put a smile on my face. :)

This raises an interesting question... if you just change the amplitude of a sound file and re-save it, does the file size change at all? Assuming of course you use the same audio codec and settings. I might try this sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ken852 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. In the beginning, I used to get startled by the level of success! ^_^

I have the sounds disabled at the moment. But it was a very nice touch, I have to say. I have fond memories of using ImgBurn back in the heyday, and hearing that signature melody would put a smile on my face. :)

This raises an interesting question... if you just change the amplitude of a sound file and re-save it, does the file size change at all? Assuming of course you use the same audio codec and settings. I might try this sometime.

and I wish there was a like button for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ken852 said:

That's funny! I noticed this as well and was wondering what came first, the chicken or the egg! :D

DVD Decrypter has the same two sound files. Both Error and Success files are binary identical between DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD. However, in ImgBurn (2.5.8) only the Error sound file is binary identical to the Error file from the former two programs. For some reason, the Success sound file in ImgBurn fails to match up against what you find in DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD. Although they all sound the same when you play it back. Perhaps the Success sound file used in ImgBurn was opened in a wave editor and re-saved at some point during development? That would be my guess, because it's still the same size. Also, in addition to the Success and Error sounds, CloneDVD has a Wait sound up its sleeve that's not present in either of the other two programs. It's some sort of click sound.

ImgBurn


C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\Sounds

Name: Error.wav
Size: 35.0 KB (35,930 bytes)
MD5: EFAD8C5D6CC6CAE180EBE01CE3A60C88
SHA-1: 614839975C1F07161F3C26BA2AF08AE910B21C61

Name: Success.wav
Size: 66.4 KB (68,064 bytes)
MD5: FD8177D61C8DD032DD262BF979D852F6
SHA-1: AC64E21B7C80E996BCB369B6023BEC4191568A52

DVD Decrypter


C:\Program Files (x86)\DVD Decrypter\Sounds

Name: Error.wav
Size: 35.0 KB (35,930 bytes)
MD5: EFAD8C5D6CC6CAE180EBE01CE3A60C88
SHA-1: 614839975C1F07161F3C26BA2AF08AE910B21C61

Success.wav
Name: 66.4 KB (68,064 bytes)
Size: MD5: BF83613C7B6B830E135F7BA077750099
SHA-1: 05EF56BA73C880B44512F0EED80FCBDA7C486BD9

CloneDVD2


C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2\sounds

Name: error.wav
Size: 35.0 KB (35,930 bytes)
MD5: EFAD8C5D6CC6CAE180EBE01CE3A60C88
SHA-1: 614839975C1F07161F3C26BA2AF08AE910B21C61

Name: success.wav
Size: 66.4 KB (68,064 bytes)
MD5: BF83613C7B6B830E135F7BA077750099
SHA-1: 05EF56BA73C880B44512F0EED80FCBDA7C486BD9

Name: wait.wav
Size: 19.6 KB (20,166 bytes)
MD5: C17FD7861B7186AD5772DE24B1F79BD7
SHA-1: 378CEE7F363BEDDEE91D43C136730F5C124B667E

You know what they say, good artists copy, great artists steal. :lol:

The best sound ever is the sound of success! I love that island music!

i got the click sound, if you want it, i can PM you the sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to @daysinnfan52 I already have the files here on my computer.

This reminds me of other popular programs, like Winamp and its famous startup sound! Adding sounds was quite common at the time to spruce up a program. It's no surprise. In fact, this was the prime time of the "Multimedia PC". So what better way to make use of on-board sound cards and monitors with built-in speakers than to introduce sounds in just about every program you can think of.

This still does not answer the main question, where did the ImgBurn "success" and "error" sound clips come from? Since DVD Decrypter pre-dates ImgBurn, I think it's safe to assume that DVD Decrypter had these sounds first. But then how did they end up in DVD Decrypter? It's unlikely we will ever learn this. Not if LUK doesn't remember.

A lot of these sound clips were floating around on the Internet. I remember downloading sound packages for Windows for example. I used P2P programs like Kazaa and Napster for that. And if I found some fun sound clips in a given program, I would extract it and add it to my own collection. In fact, I think I still have that somewhere in my archives. I also very much enjoyed extracting chip tunes from key generators and other obscure programs I encountered.

Edited by Ken852

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.