BD-RE DL formatting issues

Willezone

How many times can the Verbatim BDRE's be formatted?. I am trying to re-initialize one to Full Erase With spare areas,and preferred. Before erase disc was "without" spare areas. Everyone of these discs than had been previously formatted(Quick or Full) will just hang at anywhere from 28%-56%. Seems like a waste of computer time(energy),wear &tear,etc.Would TDK or Panasonic be Re-Formattable, i ask?. LG BE12LU38-Verbatim  IM1-000. Also, you can't cancel operation in Imgburn. So what does one do?. Thank You

Edited by Willezone

There's no set answer to that.  You can format a BD-RE for as many times as it can be written to, since a format is just a write to all available sectors.  How many times you can write to a rewrtiable media is not knowable.  Whatever the companies say is just plain wrong.  For instance, they claim you can get hundreds of writes out of a DVD+RW but in actual practice, I get about 20 before they die.

So, while you can't know how many formats you'll get out of a media, since it's never constant across discs produced, you can format a BD-RE for as many times as writes are allowed to it.

I guess i was wondering why the formatting "hangs" on subsequent erasures. Can i go from Quick Erase-Full Erase after already writing files and folders without issues?. Seems like the discs prefer whatever "format" settings were used initially. Such as...Preferred>Proper>Without Spare areas,etc. Thanks>Willezone

Re: Verbatim BD-RE-Dl>Im1-000

Yeah, there's really no need to do erases again unless you switch between spare areas and back.  After the first format, you can just do a subsequent Quick Erase each time.  Even if you cancel a write that doesn't complete, you can still just do a Quick Erase on the next subsequent write.

I thought ImgBurn always did a Quick Erase as default behavior before writing to rewritable media.  I would think it would have to to clear the TOC so the disc could reflect the new contents.  I thought the default was ImgBurn does a Quick Erase and then falls back to a Full Erase if a Quick Erase cannot be performed before a write.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.