Erasing a DVD +RW disc hangs

emve

I tested a video DVD layout on a DVD+RW disc and made some changes to the layout. Then I tried to erase the DVD to burn the new layout. Everything went well and ImgBurn starts the erase procedure. It is now 2 hours and the erase stands at 0%.

Log:

I 18:26:49 -> Drive 1 - Info: hp DVDRAM GT80N R102 (G:) (SATA)
I 18:26:49 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
I 18:27:51 Operation Started!
I 18:27:51 Device: [0:0:0] hp DVDRAM GT80N R102 (G:) (SATA)
I 18:27:51 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: CMC MAG-W02-00)
I 18:27:51 Media Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x
I 18:27:52 Quick Erase: No
I 18:27:52 Format Properly: Yes
I 18:27:52 Format Size: Preferred
I 18:27:52 Erasing Disc...

ImgBurn version 2.5.8.0

Windows 10 x64 machine

HP DVD writer

Long ago I also had problems loosing a disc during the erase procedure and I did not use it again (used Toshiba's erase afterwards). This disc is new, erase once outside ImgBurn.

Any suggestions?

Try something else other than CMC MAG discs.  CMC Magnetics is the worst optical disc manufacturer out there.  It wouldn't be a surprise if that was the culprit.  The problem is finding DVD+RW that AREN'T CMC.  Try to see if you find any from Verbatim that are DataLife Plus.  However, Verbatim was recently sold to, yes, you guessed, CMC, so it's a crap shoot what you'll get now!  :rolleyes:  You could try Ritek/Ricoh, which makes 4x and 8x DVD+RW, but it's becoming harder to find 8x DVD+RW from them.

I will try to get another manufacturer, but it is not easy. This box was labelled HP...

I brutally terminated the ImgBurn session and erased the disc on another PC with the Windows Erase. Now I am burning it with the same version of ImgBurn on the second PC. About 75% done and looking good.

Once the QC of the disc layout is OK, I will burn the video to a DVD ROM, possibly a Verbatim if I can find some.

I liked the Verbatim discs, but will see what comes out of the stack when I get some.

The GT80N was a replacement of the original Samsung SN-208 DVD writer in the laptop. I suspect Windows to play a part in the problems with the DVD Writer. A year or two ago I could not read or write any DVD or CD on the laptop. The drivers were the latest from Toshiba. I did not bother to investigate further and all the work on the desktop. The SN-208 was replaced by the GT80N. With this project I tried to burn the test DVDs on the laptop again as it was more convenient. And miraculously it worked until this incident.

I still had 1 Verbatim DVD/ROM . I burned it in the HP desktop with the LG Writer. I ran flawlessly and I am handing it to the person tonight. It was for a community project, so I am happy that it ended well.

Thank you for the assistance. I will keep your advice in mind when I get another pack of DVDs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.