Motorola Software Update Failure

lfcrule1972

Mmm

This morning I tried to update the software on my V3 razr using the Motorola support program.

Everything seemed to be going ok until all of a sudden the USB connection was lost. It appears that the remaining 50% of my battery was used up by the update process running.

Problem is now that I cannot re-run the software update as the program does not recognise the phone when connected via USB. When I plug the phone into the charger I see the following message

Boot Loader

SW Version: R374_G_0E.42.08R

Code Corrupt

OK to program

USB

Transfer Mode

Nothing else seems to work except the power on/off button. I can't even tell now if the phone is being charged.

I called the UK support line number at Motorola and the lady spoke to their data team who believe I need to send it back to them to reflash the phone. The phone is just outside the 1year warranty so this is going to cost me - the lady helpfully suggested that its probably easier to buy a new one !!! Aaaargh !!

So as I have nothing to lose can anyone suggest either a way to reset the phone so that I can try the update again or another option to return the phone to its working state again ??

Please bear in mind that I am already regretting trying to update the software :/

Many thanks

P.S I have tried a Google search at lunch and found lots of stuff on hacking/modding but nothing to fix a failed software upgrade.

I could do it, would mean sending me the phone though.

Edit i think i could still fix it, but it would be easier if you go to phone shop near where you live and ask them if they have a smart clip and ask them what they will charge you to do a PDS repair on your phone.

Someone near you will be able to do it.

I do not have a smart clip, however i could do it the long way, just you might not see you phone again for at least 2-3 weeks. I am 85% certain i could fix it that way.

If you get stuck really stuck, i could give you the address of someone, but they are in the states.

Edited by dontasciime

I got rid of my V3 after a month, it was the worst phone I've owned. I personally just couldn't get used to it so went back to Samsung. I also took the sim card out of my work V3 and put it into and old Motorola, that said though my colleagues all love theirs'. It must just be me..... :/

Thanks guys..... :(

I might take you up on that donta, whats a smartclip ? I read at lunch that the phone needs to be re-flashed but I can't find out how to do it.

It won't take a software update anymore as it just displays the error message above about corrupt file.

Have you had a look Here ?

Or you might try this. Never had to do it myself but it might be worth a go. :/

I'm still using the worlds oldest Nokia 6310, so I dont have any of these problems. :D

the boot loader in the phone is corrupt so neptune flashing is out of the question until THE PDS is put back on phone, TBH your best bet would be to go to local phone shop/repair. see if they have a smartclip they are about 150 quid to buy, but if they got one they can fix your phone, they might also unlock it for you (they will charge to do PDS repair but might throw in the unlocking for free), this and testpoint are about the only way your going to get that phone back on.

If i had the smartclip i would do it for you for nothing, was looking to buy one but with Christmas round the corner ?150+ is stopping me, I would like to own one though (as the 85% i gave b4 is accurate but the hassle of fixing any v3 that has become corrupt, its quite long frustrating process, ( i will be seeing someone i know tomorrow or next day that i know has smartclip, will see how much he charges for repair, then i can tell you how much you should be expecting to pay for someone near you that has one, If you cannot find someone maybe think about sending me the phone special delivery and i will take it to the lad with smart clip etc) see what he says

@groundrush, SAMSUNG will be thinking wtf is going on with someone sending them a Motorola v3 :D

Edited by dontasciime

Thanks all for the links and advice, sounds like the smartclip is the way to go. At the moment it's just a black paperweight, I am guessing that I would need a non dealer phone shop (Not Vodafone, O2 etc) for this ?

Appreciate you speaking to a mate about this donta, please let me know what he says and maybe I can arrange to send it to you if it's not too much bother ? Will see what he says when he speaks to you. :)

mobile phones are more of a nuisance than a good thing . you did well getting a modern phone to last the full 12 months

strikes me that most consumer items today are designed to self destruct in the 13th month in the UK ( theres a 12 month gaurantee on most new things in the UK ).

mobile phones are more of a nuisance than a good thing . you did well getting a modern phone to last the full 12 months

strikes me that most consumer items today are designed to self destruct in the 13th month in the UK ( theres a 12 month gaurantee on most new things in the UK ).

companies plan it that way its called Planned Obsolescence, generally making the cost of repairs so expensive that its cheaper to buy a new one or not supporting the model anymore see M$oft with 98.2 ME,95

they force you into an upgrade it means big $ to them

yeah they're real cute with insurance ,My cell wouldn't ring in went to Sprint and the manager's logic was that if I could still call out it wasn't broken (idiot) I wound up paying $35 for a refurbished one, if I took the insurance it would have cost $60 a year

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.