Blu Ray from ISO

crg223

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a problem making a blu ray disc from an ISO with imgburn, when the ISO itself was created from a video file using imgburn?

In the past I've always used Encore to make ISOs and then used imgburn to make discs (DVD or blu ray) from those ISOs. I didn't even realize you can make ISOs with imgburn until after Encore got so buggy and I had so many problems with it that it became unusable and I was looking for an alternative.

So this is the first time I made an ISO with imgburn. I then used the ISO to make a blu ray, and it seemed to all go fine, the way it always has before. But what it actually created appears not to be the kind of blu ray disc to play in a blu ray player, but just a recreation of the original video file that it transferred to the disc. I mean, I can play it in my computer, because I could play the original video file in my computer, but I assume this won't play in a blu ray player. (I don't have a standalone blu ray player, but I'm making discs for people who do.)

In looking through the guide, it sounded like maybe the part about "burn" versus "write" was relevant, but it indicated you should get a warning if you're doing the wrong one, and no warning popped up for me. Plus I don't see where one would change it. (I haven't changed the settings or anything in any way from what they have always been when I created discs successfully.)

Depends.  If your BD player supports playing container files from a BD disc, then it will work.  If it doesn't, then the file needs to converted to VIDEO_TS/BDMV folder.

This BD you're making an ISO of.  Is it a DVD Video or a BD Video disc?  Meaning, did you make a DVD or a Blu-Ray and it was a movie?  Or did you just copy the container file to disc?  Or are you saying you put in a DVD/BD that had a VIDEO_TS/BDMV folder on it, you read the disc to ISO, burned the ISO, and the same contents are not on the disc you just burned?

It's a film I made with Premiere Pro. It's an M2T file.

In the past I've always used Premiere Encore to make an ISO file from the M2T file, and then if I needed discs--DVD or blu ray--I burned them from the ISO file using imgburn. And that always worked fine.

This time, since Encore no longer works for me, I used imgburn to create an ISO file from the M2T file. I then burned a blu ray disc from the ISO file using imgburn. In the past, that has always resulted in a disc that plays automatically when inserted, and that shows up in my files and folders as a BDMV folder. This time it instead resulted in a disc that does not play automatically but has to be double-clicked, and that shows up in my files and folders as an M2T file--what I started with, in other words.

ImgBurn burns as-is, so if you want a BD Video disc, you need to feed a compliant BD Video folder structure into ImgBurn.

You’ll have to find another utility to convert your premiere file into the correct BD Video format and folder structure. Then just burn that with ImgBurn.

What it sounds like was happening was Premiere Pro was making ISO's but did more than just make an ISO.  It created BDMV folders first and then put them into a video compliant ISO.  If the M2T file was just placed on the disc, there's no way I can think of it should automatically play when inserted into a player.  You'd have to manually select it from your BD player's interface.  Premiere is probably making BDMV compliant folders which can automatically play upon insertion of a disc.

You could insert one of these BD discs that does play automatically in a PC drive and check the root directory contents in Windows/File Explorer.  There would probably be a BDMV folder.  The M2T file might also be included in the root directory, but that's probably not what is automatically playing.

Correct. Encore creates the kind of ISO that when you burn it to DVD it shows up as BDMV folders. Evidently (and this is what I didn't realize until now), imgburn does not. Imgburn is still highly useful to me for burning discs once I have an ISO (of the right kind), but the kind of ISOs it makes aren't what I need. (I'm not greatly surprised by that. It very much had a "too good to be true" quality to it that imgburn was going to do for me what I had paid hundreds of dollars for Encore to do.)

So my next step is to research what is my best option to replace Encore in the process. I think tmpgenc might do it, but I need to look into it more.

What you can research is to see if Encore has an option where it creates BDMV folder and files to a folder on your HDD.  Then, you can use ImgBurn's Build Mode to add the BDMV folder, CERTIFICATE folder, if it exists, and any other files BD needs.  You can even add the MT2 file to the ISO if you want a backup of the source file on the disc.  It's what I do with DVD's I create with ConvertXToDVD.  I add the source file to the VIDEO_TS folder in the ISO to burn to DVD.

I downloaded the trial versions of TMPGEnc Video Mastering and ConvertXtoHD to try them out.

I couldn't make any sense of the TMPGEnc and couldn't see any way to use it to make an ISO. It's possible it's some other TMPGEnc product that does that, or more likely I just didn't understand what I was looking at.

I was able to use ConvertXtoHD to make the blu-ray folder, and then used ImgBurn to make an ISO of that and then make the disc. That all went fine, so I'll likely buy ConvertXtoHD. I think it was $30 or $40, which isn't so bad.

I think I can skip the step of converting the folder to an ISO and just have ImgBurn make the disc directly from the folder, but I'm used to having ISOs of all my projects.

If ConvertXToHD is anything like VSO's ConvertXToDVD, which I've used for years, there is an option to create ISO files with the software.  I choose not to create ISO's except with ImgBurn because I add contents to my DVD's before burning them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.