How to burn dual layer DVD from AVCHD iso file

cinderellen

I have created an AVCHD iso file that, because of its size (7.5 GB), I need to burn a dual layer DVD. I have been reading various articles that refer to BDMV and Certificate folders which I don't know anything about. I've also read that in order to burn a dual layer in ImgBurn, that I need to use a VIDEO_TS file. I have not found information as to how to burn this AVCHD iso file onto a dual layer disc.

I tried just burning this file through ImgBurn onto a dual layer DVD but that did not work. It does not play, either on DVD player or computer. So apparently I need more steps to successfully create.

I'm in need of some guidance here if someone could kindly assist me. Thank you!

Since you say it's AVCHD, I'm guessing you're trying to make a Blu-Ray Video Disc.  In that case, you'd need BDMV and Certificate folders in the root directory of your image.  If you're creating a DVD Video Disc, you'll need a VIDEO_TS folder.

The reason it's not playing could be a wide variety of causes.  The BDMV/VIDEO_TS may not be compliant and thus doesn't play.  That would be on whatever software you used to create the BDMV folder contents.  I don't know if BDMV burned to a DVD+R DL will even work.  I know the other way around, VIDEO_TS to BD-R, doesn't; I tested that myself.  You may need a BD-R to get this to play, but I THOUGHT if your BDMV fit on a DVD+R DL, you COULD burn it to a DVD+R DL and get it to play on a BR player.

Thanks. I am trying to burn a DVD video disc. I created the ISO file as output from ProShow Producer which I’ve used for 15 years - just not a video this large. I’ve always created an ISO file and used ImgBurn for the DVD. I’m a bit clueless as far as creating a VIDEO_TS file. 

I’m not trying to create a Blu-Ray as my clients don’t have Blu-Ray players.
The only reason I’m using dual layer is because of the size of the file. I’m not seeing much on being able to do this. Maybe it’s not technologically feasible? 

Sure hope I can find a way of doing this. Thanks for your response. If you have any further suggestions, I’d surely appreciate them.

You keep mentioning trying to burn a file to create a DVD Video disc.  That may be your problem.  In order to get a DVD that plays on a DVD player, you have to have a VIDEO_TS folder.  Is this ProShow Producer producing a VIDEO_TS folder, a file, or an ISO on its own you're trying to burn with ImgBurn?

If you have a VIDEO_TS folder, the simplest way to do it is to use Build mode and add the VIDEO_TS folder to the job.  ImgBurn will make all the necessary changes for DVD Video itself.

Another thing that might help is post a log of one of these DVD Video disc images you burned that aren't playing on a DVD player.  I have an idea that you may have a disc that works but the media manufacturer may be the reason it doesn't play in a DVD player.  Under Help, choose ImgBurn Logs, open the log file, and copy and paste the necessary part of the log.

Also, do you have PC software that can play DVD's?  If so, try putting one of these discs that doesn't play in a DVD player into a PC drive and see if it plays on the software player.

Thanks for the reply. My output from ProShow Producer is an ISO file that I then burn with ImgBurn. I have done this for many years with no problem until now - with the dual layer disc. There is no way to create a VIDEO_TS folder that I know of. It would appear that I am at a dead end trying to do this through ImgBurn - and perhaps other software as well. Thanks so much for trying to help.

When you say you can't burn, you mean you can burn, right, it's just that the disc doesn't play?  Try posting the log of a burn of a disc that doesn't play.  I have an idea of what might be the problem.  Although it wouldn't explain why it doesn't play on a PC.

First, put one of these failed discs in a PC drive and open its contents in Windows/File Explorer.  Is there a VIDEO_TS folder in the root directory?

To get the log of a burn, in ImgBurn, under Help, ImgBurn Logs.  The folder containing the logs opens.  Open the log file, find the part of the log with a burn of one of these discs that doesn't play, and copy and paste the contents into a reply.

Actually, I just came back here to say the same thing myself.  :)  This ProShow can make an ISO, mount the ISO, add the VIDEO_TS folder from the virtual drive into a Build job in ImgBurn, write a new image, and burn it.  If the disc still fails to play, then it's either ProShow making improper VIDEO_TS or it could be the manufacturer of your DVD+R DL.  Although that 2nd explanation doesn't explain away why it doesn't play on a PC.

WOWIE - this is encouraging - thank you LIGHTING UK! and dbminter!!  This is totally new territory for me so may take a little time to try this out. I'm running Windows 7 (I know!) so quick research tells me I need 3rd party software to accomplish virtual drive. Will certainly give this a try - THANKS!

I've been using it for over 5 years and I can't think of a single installation or usage issue with it except the bug introduced in the previous version that they quickly fixed.  So, it's very reliable software.

However, should you have an issue with it, Alcohol 120% Free Edition is something I've also experimented with.  I used to use Alcohol 52% before I moved to Virtual CloneDrive.

Thanks, y'all! As I mentioned, this is completely new territory for me. I have downloaded Virtual Clonedrive. I'm taking baby steps here. I have gone to my ISO file, right-clicked, and mounted Virtual Clonedrive, creating a drive H:. Things get a little fuzzy from here. (of course working at 3 AM is probably not the best time to try to work with something completely new!). I now see that magical VIDEO_TS file but not sure how to proceed from here.

If you're adding a BDMV folder, it's a Blu-Ray.  DVD Video is a folder called VIDEO_TS.

The 2nd error message is because the file trying to be added is larger than 4 GB.  For DVD Video, the file system doesn't allow files greater than 4 GB, I think.  Blu-Ray Video discs do allow for such files.

m2TS files are for Blu-Ray.

Oops, I’ve muddled up some of my posts by saying video_ts when your topic title clearly states it’s an avchd image.

So yeah, what you’re doing is burning Blu-ray style hd content onto a dvd.

You should allow the program to make the changes it recommends.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.