Do Blank DVD+R Discs Go Bad With Age?

kxkvi

I have a stack of 100 Verbatim DVD+R discs that I bought back in 2012.  I attempted to burn a

file project to them tonight and ended up with 2 coasters on two different DVD burners.

(uncorrectable errors on verify)

Do they go bad over time?  If so, I'll toss them and buy a new spindle.

Thanks and regards!

They can go bad over time, but Verbatim generally doesn't.  It would be more likely they were bad to begin with when they were bought.

And, are they "true" Verbatim or CMC Verbatim?  If they're Life Series and not DataLife Plus Series, they're the CMC junk.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

They definitely aren't the Life Series.  As far as I can remember, they are the true verbatim with

the blue and purple label on the spindle.  When I pull the disc info, the MID is MCC.  Isn't that

Mitsubishi Chemical Co.?

Regards.

Yes, MCC is Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, the good stuff from Verbatim.

So, I'd fall back on my previous reply that you got a bad batch out of the factory.  While I've never left recordable media just sitting around unused for a length of time, I don't think they go bad with time.  Except the normal time it would take for the dye to decay just from entropy.  And that's at least 20 years because I've got DVD-R from 2002 that are still playable.

• 1 month later...

Seems you're right.  If I take a disc off the top of the stack and burn it, I get a coaster.

If I take one from the center of the stack, I get a perfect burn.  I wonder where the

line is drawn.  Guess I'll find out over time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.