An .mds file accompanies the .iso

i_am_jim

for quite a while I have been making .iso files to backup my software disks.  For the first time today ImgBurn created a companion .mds file with the .iso.  How do I use the .mds file when restoring to a disk?

Open it in ImgBurn like you would an ISO file.  Or MDS may be already associated with the ImgBurn software so double clicking on the MDS file might work, too.

You say these are software discs you were making ISO's of.  What probably happened is ISO could no longer be used for that particular disc and another format was used instead that generated a related MDS file.  Are you sure an ISO file was still created?  Also, an MDS could be generated, I suppose, for DVD-9 software installation discs to preserve the layer break.  I'm not sure.

Are you saying there's a PRE in front of the file name and not just the file name itself being PRE.ISO and PRE.MDS?  Meaning, do you have a PRE File Name.ISO and PRE File Name.MDS?  If you don't and have a PRE.ISO and PRE.MDS that file name is most likely generated from the disc label on the disc you're making an image of.

If you're saying you have a PRE File Name.ISO and PRE File Name.MDS files, I can't explain where the PRE is coming from.

17 hours ago, i_am_jim said:

Do you know what to do with them?

If there is an MDS File along the ISO you always use that file to load the ISO instead of direct selecting the ISO.

If you want to burn the ISO, you select the MDS and ImgBurm will know what to do and load the ISO to burn and set the correct settings as per the MDS file (media descriptor)

If you want to mount the ISO  as a virtual drive you select the MDS file and the program you use (Daemon Tools, Virtual Clone Drive or whatever) will know how to treat the ISO to correctly mount it and emulate a DVD-ROM disc rather than a CD-ROM in case of ISO < 1 GB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.