How can I set the "layer type" to "read-only"?

Derf321

Hello! I have a device that will only read a DVD if the layer type is set to "read-only" (not "Recordable"). When I burn a disc, it stays as Recordable, but when my friend burns a disc, it changes to "read-only". Is there a way to force this?

Note this is different than "booktype". If I set booktype to DVD-ROM, it still doesn't change it. I also tried finalizing the disc by clicking Verify Disc > Tools > Drive > Close > Track (then repeated for Session and Disc, waiting until the drive stopped each time). 

Thank you!

It's exactly the same as booktype. The thing is, your drive has to support setting it, not all drives do (especially current ones). Maybe it's just good to upgrade the player. Modern ones shouldn't have any problem playing 'recordable' ones

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

On 4/26/2020 at 5:59 AM, Ch3vr0n said:

It's exactly the same as booktype. The thing is, your drive has to support setting it, not all drives do (especially current ones). Maybe it's just good to upgrade the player. Modern ones shouldn't have any problem playing 'recordable' ones

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

On 4/26/2020 at 12:57 PM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

Indeed, the only fix is to buy a drive that does it (by design). It's not something the software has any control over - beyond sending the normal booktype commands.

Thanks for the replies!

I know that the ability to change booktype can be added by flashing the firmware of the DVD drive (which is what I did to this drive to get it to set booktype to DVD-ROM). I suppose if layer type is the same deal, it could potentially be set in a custom firmware as well? Or is layer type set more deeply than the firmware?

I am doing this for Xbox for emulator development, so I can't "upgrade" the player. Otherwise it'd be no problem :)

Edited by Derf321
thanks

Yeah, if you’ve gone the route of flashing a modded firmware to your drive in order to gain booktype changing support, maybe you could ask the author of said firmware to also patch the layer type.

Failing that, get yourself a new drive. I know some of the vinpower drives had this exact thing added to their firmware.

3 hours ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

Yeah, if you’ve gone the route of flashing a modded firmware to your drive in order to gain booktype changing support, maybe you could ask the author of said firmware to also patch the layer type.

Failing that, get yourself a new drive. I know some of the vinpower drives had this exact thing added to their firmware.

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.