Jump to content
lucaswoop

Help with backing up Sega CD Game. Seems to hang

Recommended Posts

Hello! I'm trying to back up Sonic CD to my computer, but it seems to hang, and I'm not quite sure why. I've attached the images what it looks like before I begin the process and during, as well as the log. Thank you!

imgburn support1.png

imgburn support2.png

imburn support3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long did you wait when it appeared to hang?  It can take a significant amount of time, but I'd wait no more than 10 minutes.

 

Don't know about non Playstation systems, but I do know that some PS1 CD's simply can't be copied with ImgBurn.  They sometimes, but not always, display similar symptoms, where the application simply appears to hang there.  For those kinds of discs in my collection, like Mega Man 8, I had to use Alcohol to read them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dbminter said:

How long did you wait when it appeared to hang?  It can take a significant amount of time, but I'd wait no more than 10 minutes.

 

Don't know about non Playstation systems, but I do know that some PS1 CD's simply can't be copied with ImgBurn.  They sometimes, but not always, display similar symptoms, where the application simply appears to hang there.  For those kinds of discs in my collection, like Mega Man 8, I had to use Alcohol to read them.

Alright, I'll try waiting longer, thanks! also, according to a video i watched, sega cd games can be backed up with imgburn no problem, which is why i assumed something was wrong with it when it didn't do it instantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dbminter said:

How long did you wait when it appeared to hang?  It can take a significant amount of time, but I'd wait no more than 10 minutes.

 

Don't know about non Playstation systems, but I do know that some PS1 CD's simply can't be copied with ImgBurn.  They sometimes, but not always, display similar symptoms, where the application simply appears to hang there.  For those kinds of discs in my collection, like Mega Man 8, I had to use Alcohol to read them.

image.png.1c28d1c1671847bf653a85df8f637011.png

It seems that it's stuck at analyzing track 2, or something, which is odd because i believe that's just a regular audio file in the game.

Btw, here the video i'm talking about. It's at 2:57 if the video doesn't start there.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega CD games can be copied with ImgBurn.  I said SOME PS1 games couldn't.  And, they do exactly what you said they did in your case.  They get stuck at analyzing the audio track portion of the discs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbminter said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega CD games can be copied with ImgBurn.  I said SOME PS1 games couldn't.  And, they do exactly what you said they did in your case.  They get stuck at analyzing the audio track portion of the discs.

alright. do you think that Alcohol might work in this scenario better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From experience, I can tell you when ImgBurn wouldn't read in my Mega Man 8, Alcohol would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dbminter said:

From experience, I can tell you when ImgBurn wouldn't read in my Mega Man 8, Alcohol would.

thanks,. I'll give that a shot!

Edit: it's Alcohol 120%, right?

Edited by lucaswoop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be 52%.  At one time, Alcohol 120% was a paid software.  But, I think they might have released a free version?  I don't know.  It's been so long since I used Alcohol for anything.  I haven't even played a PS2 game since 2006, let alone a PS1 game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbminter said:

Could be 52%.  At one time, Alcohol 120% was a paid software.  But, I think they might have released a free version?  I don't know.  It's been so long since I used Alcohol for anything.  I haven't even played a PS2 game since 2006, let alone a PS1 game.

alright then, I'll give that s hot, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on what info your drive returns, the program can get stuck in a loop trying to find the real start of tracks. Some drives are worse than others at returning incorrect info that causes the looping - so if you have another drive you can try reading the disc in, that one may work.

Another app that doesn’t work in the same way will also get around the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I should have said it's also dependent on your hardware.  Meaning, some drives may work for reading these discs in ImgBurn and some may not.  So, changing your drive might result in a working read.  Or it might not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.