ImgBurn reads supposedly empty disc to image file

dbminter

I'm having a little difficulty figuring this one out.  I put in a disc which I thought had never been written to before, requiring a full format.  However, when I put it in for writing, it did not say it needed to format the disc first.  So, I entered Read mode to see what, if any, disc label was on the disc to see what might have been written on there before.  But, there was no label, so I started the Read operation to see if there were any contents on it, and ImgBurn began reading the disc to ISO.  So, I cancelled the read operation and decided to check the disc contents in File Explorer.  But, File Explorer said the disc was empty!  :o  It just listed empty space X GB of X GB free.  I forget the exact amount, 4 something.  When I double clicked on the drive, Windows wanted to format is as a giant USB device or whatever the other option is.

So, how can ImgBurn be reading a supposedly empty disc to an image file?  :unsure:  Could I possibly have formatted the disc as a giant floppy in the past and forgotten about it?

DVD+RW yeah? Once formatted, they look like a burnt disc. It'll just read the entire disc from start to end as there's no way of knowing the 'burnt' size without being able to understand a file system that may or may not be present.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.