Question copy files DVD for PC time 1 hour

cloudff

I burned a Verbatim AZO DVD-R in 8x totaling 3GB of data many compacted files, folders etc, i scanned disc read test the nero discspeed 100% Good and Verify of the ImgBurn errors 0 but to copy the files disc to the PC the time was 1 hour, is this normal? Will I have to discard this disc, will it not have a long life? my drive is liteon 2017

Edited by cloudff

Taking 1 hour to read a single layer DVD-R, even if completely full, is DEFINITELY not normal behavior.  On my slowest Blu-Ray burner, I can copy an entire 25 GB, about 5 times the size of a DVD-R, in like half an hour.

So, what's causing this?  Most likely, the disc itself is not the culprit.  Your drive may simply be a slow reader.  There are cases I've seen where some drives, like LG, are generally slower readers than others.  But, an hour?  When I first started burning DVD-R in 2002, it used to take an hour to WRITE the disc, but not to read it.  Could be the SATA cable or the port the drive is connected to.  Swapping ports or the cable might help.  Could be some kind of Windows configuration error or some sort of other error.  Good luck troubleshooting something like that.  Could be your A/V software slowing things down, too.

Short of replacing your drive with some other manufacturer and model, there's really not much else I can think of to try.  You could try and see if you had another computer where you could try to copy the DVD-R to.  If it's still an hour and it's a different DVD drive being used, then it is the disc that is most likely the problem.

Oh, should have asked.  Is this drive connected by USB or internal?

17 minutes ago, dbminter said:

Levar 1 hora para ler um DVD-R de camada única, mesmo que completamente cheio, DEFINITIVAMENTE não é um comportamento normal. No meu gravador de Blu-Ray mais lento, posso copiar 25 GB inteiros, cerca de 5 vezes o tamanho de um DVD-R, em meia hora.

Então, o que está causando isso? Provavelmente, o disco em si não é o culpado. Sua unidade pode ser simplesmente um leitor lento. Existem casos em que algumas unidades, como a LG, geralmente são mais lentas do que outras. Mas uma hora? Quando comecei a gravar o DVD-R em 2002, levava uma hora para gravar o disco, mas não para lê-lo. Pode ser o cabo SATA ou a porta à qual a unidade está conectada. Trocar portas ou o cabo pode ajudar. Pode ser algum tipo de erro de configuração do Windows ou algum outro tipo de erro. Boa sorte para solucionar algo assim. Também pode ser o seu software A / V que atrasa as coisas.

Com exceção de substituir sua unidade por outro fabricante e modelo, não há realmente muito mais que eu possa tentar. Você pode tentar ver se possui outro computador para onde pode copiar o DVD-R. Se ainda houver uma hora e houver uma unidade de DVD diferente em uso, é mais provável que seja o disco.

Oh, deveria ter perguntado. Esta unidade está conectada por USB ou interna?

1 hour to copy files from DVD to PC

My PC is i3 2120 8gb ram ddr3 1600mhz, W10 64bit, free kaspersky antivirus and free space on the 160GB hard drive

If the disc was tested with Verify from ImgBurn and Scan Read Test from Nero Discspeed and showed no errors on that disc, is the recording on this disc good? or is the problem with the Verbatim DVD-R AZO disc and the DVD MDisc Verbatim?

My drive is LiteOn iHAS122 Are the disks out of order and too bad for long-term storage and I throw them in the trash?

Edited by cloudff

Is the LiteOn internal or external?

Was this disc an MDisc you were copying?  I've rarely used those so maybe they take longer to read back.

I wouldn't throw the discs away.  As I said, the discs are most likely not the culprit.  One thing you could do is get some kind of software installation DVD disc and try to copy the contents from it and see if it takes a long time, too.  If it does, you know the problem is not the discs you burned.

Do you happen to remember if the Verify you performed took an hour?  If it didn't, then ImgBurn is reading that disc at a "normal" speed.  So, it would be something in Windows that would be the problem.  You could try to temporarily disable your A/V and see if copying gets faster.  Be sure to turn it back on when you're done, of course.

34 minutes ago, dbminter said:

Is the LiteOn internal or external?

Was this disc an MDisc you were copying?  I've rarely used those so maybe they take longer to read back.

I wouldn't throw the discs away.  As I said, the discs are most likely not the culprit.  One thing you could do is get some kind of software installation DVD disc and try to copy the contents from it and see if it takes a long time, too.  If it does, you know the problem is not the discs you burned.

Do you happen to remember if the Verify you performed took an hour?  If it didn't, then ImgBurn is reading that disc at a "normal" speed.  So, it would be something in Windows that would be the problem.  You could try to temporarily disable your A/V and see if copying gets faster.  Be sure to turn it back on when you're done, of course.

The liteOn iHas 122 is internal

the verifications "Verify" of ImgBurn and Read test of Nero Discspeed were fast or medium speeds for conclude and it was not equal to 1 hour to copy the files from the DVD to the PC, the result of the verifications disc was 0 errors and 100% good

Edited by cloudff

The fact that ImgBurn has no read speed caps but your copying from Windows/File Explorer would indicate it's something in Windows that is capping the copying read speed.  Like I said, could be the A/V software scanning the files as they're written to the source destination.  Or some kind of Windows configuration error, which, as I said, good luck in tracking those down.

4 minutes ago, dbminter said:

The fact that ImgBurn has no read speed caps but your copying from Windows/File Explorer would indicate it's something in Windows that is capping the copying read speed.  Like I said, could be the A/V software scanning the files as they're written to the source destination.  Or some kind of Windows configuration error, which, as I said, good luck in tracking those down.

But my biggest doubt is whether to discard or store these burned discs (DVD MDisc Verbatim and Verbatim AZO DVD-R) and whether these burned discs are good or bad for long-term storage of files

Edited by cloudff

Depends on what you used.  If you used a standard DVD-R, I have some I first burned in 2002 that are still readable.  If you used MDisc, the expected life span is like 100 years and those will have a higher life.  They don't use organic dyes, which decay, like DVD-R do.

I wouldn't be too worried, particularly if the discs passed a Verify against the file image contents.  Slow reading is most likely not a condition of the quality of the burnt discs.  If you still have the original image file you burned and didn't do a Verify against image contents, you can enable that option and use the manual Verify option to load the image file and compare contents against.

If you're really concerned, you could open a Command Prompt and do a COMP of the original contents against the files on disc.  However, given the slow reading in Windows you're experiencing, it would probably take more than an hour to complete.

I used standard DVD-R and MDisc DVD

this verification of the content of the file image you mentioned is the "Verify" of ImgBurn and the Scan read of Nero DiscSpeed? in these two the result was 0 errors and 100% Good

Is the problem of slow copying files from the DVD disc to the HD caused by the Kaspersky free antivirus that I use? which option should be enabled and I will check and disable?

Edited by cloudff

There are 2 kinds of Verify in ImgBurn.  One is just a read test to see if the data can be read from the disc.  The other, the Verify against the image file contents, compares the data written to the disc against the data in the image file to make sure the data was correctly written to the disc.  A write can complete successfully but it doesn't mean it's "right."  DiscSpeed would, I'd think, just do the ImgBurn Verify first option, the read test.  I forget if the Verify against image file is an option set by default or not.

It's been a while since I used Kaspersky, and that was a bundled A/V engine from them that ZoneAlarm used.  So, I don't know how to disable anything in Kaspersky, sorry.

As LUK said, since you said you had written some compressed contents to the disc, the overhead of the OS reading from an admittedly slower optical medium device might be causing it, too.

If the read speed from DVD is too slow for you, this MIGHT help.  Install Virtual CloneDrive, read the DVD to an image file with ImgBurn, mount the image file to a virtual drive in CloneDrive, and copy the contents from the virtual drive to another location.  You will be doing some extra reading and steps, but if the copying from DVD is too long, you might save some time doing it this way.

The content I burned on the DVD was a folder with many files inside it, most of the compressed files I ImgBurn I performed only the "Verify" option after burning the disc is not this option sufficient for data integrity on the DVD disc?

In Nero DiscSpeed 12 after burning I chose read test is it not enough?

example:

imgburn-001.jpg:300544814cfb2a24b570e6634e7791fad7711ebaf33

Well, that's something I admit I don't know about the default behavior of the Verify check box on the Write page.  Does that mean automatic Verify against image file contents?  If you go into the Verify page, there's a specific option to check if you want to Verify against the image file.

LUK, does the Verify check box on the Write interface mean automatic Verify against the image file being burned?  I'd say it is, but I'm not sure.  :unsure:

In the meantime, go into Tools --> Settings --> Write --> Page 1 and make sure Verify Against Image File is checked.  If it's not, enable it.  If it's enabled, which may be the default, then your previous burns were automatically Verified against the file contents, so they should be fine.

The only option I knew I always checked was "Verify" as shown in the image but I went to Tools / Settings / Write / and has the option Check against Image and it is activated By default, is this option enabled or disabled? I remember I enabled some options but I don't remember if I enabled or disabled this option

Edited by cloudff

I am guessing the option to Verify against the image file is enabled by default BUT the user must select the Verify box in the Write menu to enable Verifies to begin with.  Unless you actually went in to the Settings at some point and set Verify Against Image File, then it was the default behavior all the time, even if Verify wasn't checked in the Write interface menu.  I don't know much about the default settings because I never "configure" ImgBurn.  I set all my desired user options and changes years ago and exported the saved settings from the Registry to a .REG file.  So, when I install ImgBurn on a new PC, I just run the installer and then double click the .REG file to import the settings.

LUK will have to say whether it's a default option or not.

Who is LUK? he could also say if this option "Verify" only it checks the data on the DVD disc comparing the image for a long time I used only the "Verify" option shown in the photo

imgburn-001.jpg:300

Edited by cloudff

What does this "Verify" option shown in the photo mean? if the option in Tools -> Settings -> Write -> Page 1 and make sure Verify Against Image File is checked is disabled and the option "Verify enabled" what is the result test data in dvd?

Edited by cloudff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.