Best DVD+R DL

carlmart

Can someone give me an update on what is the best best DVD+R DL you can get at this moment?

I'm finally moving into a video server, probably RAID 5 or 6, but I still think I must have a DVD backup of the video files. Am I wrong? Is there a better way

Yesterday I ruined two more DVDs on different DVD drivers, and I think I must have just 15 discs left only. I'm reprocessing the file again in Vidcoder, to see if something was wrong in the video file.

Can someone suggest a safer way to deal with IMGburn copies?

There is really only one option to choose from when it comes to double layer DVD.  That is Verbatim DataLife Plus/AZO.  NOT the Life Series you find in brick and mortar stores, which is CMC, the WORST you can get.  You can only find the good Verbatim in online stores.

However, I have had good results with TDK DVD+R DL in the past.  They complete burns and Verifies and were still readable years later.

If you're just considering backing up these DVD's after making video files for watching on a video server, you might want to forgo using DVD+R DL for your backups.  They use organic dyes and will die faster.  BD-R uses metallic oxides which will last much longer.  Of course, if you want to watch these discs, you'll need to burn them to DVD+R DL for viewing in a standard DVD player.  But, if you just have a collection of MP4 files or MKV, you could consider just making an ISO in ImgBurn of those video files and burn that to BD-R.  Or you could create image files of the DVD's and copy those to a BD-R.  A BD-R will hold 3 DVD-9's.  (Unless they're all nearly full on disc, which means you'll only get 2.)

This is the one I can get here for DVD+R. Is this a good option?

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-690390813-50-dvdr-dl-verbatim-dual-layer-85gb-singapura-mkm003-000-_JM#position=1&type=item&tracking_id=0fbb9bb8-7d62-418b-9740-c11d97ca708c

The backup files are all and only MKV. How would this BD-R technology work? The problem is that media is too expensive.

Edited by carlmart

I can't tell much from the link you posted, but they do appear to be the good quality stuff.  On the page is a listing for "Mkm003-000."  MKM is part of the Disc ID of the high quality Verbatim DVD+R DL made by Mitsubishi.

I'm not entirely sure what your question about how the BD-R technology works means.  If you were going to use BD-R, you would, of course, need a Blu-Ray burner.  However, creating images and burning them to BD-R with ImgBurn is mostly the same as doing it for DVD's.

BD-R isn't too expensive when you buy them in bulk.  You can get them for less than $1 each.  Plus, it's good value for the price when you factor in how much longer BD-R will last in terms of shelf life versus DVD+R DL.  And, you seemed to indicate your primary concern was long term storage.

Sorry, BD-R may not be expensive in the USA, but it certainly is in Brazil. VERY EXPENSIVE!

And it would also mean buying a BD-R burner/reader, which is quite expensive too. I think it's not a technology for me.

The more I think about it, the more I see my only future is a video server. Even in SSD, which will soon be affordable in 4TB, would pay off when you add up BD-R media.

I didn't factor in you might be a user from somewhere other than the US.

Another option to consider is mechanical USB 3.0 HDD's.  The capacities are ridiculously high for like $100 US.  The speeds are capped at USB 3.0, but are faster than an optical drive.  The biggest selling point is the capacity for the price.  Best Buy here in the States currently has on offer a 16 TB drive for $259.99 US.  I paid that price for 14 TB back in July!  :angry:  And there's an even higher capacity than that of 18 TB at a price of $349.99 US.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.