Error when burning

ANHC Support

There's one common thread I noticed in all the failed burns in the log.  And, it was what I expected was probably the problem before I opened the log file.

I 13:19:59 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m26s66f, CMC Magnetics Corp.)

Stop using cheap CMC media and your problems generally go away.  Get the high quality AZO media from Verbatim.  Do NOT get the Verbatim Life Series CD-R you find in brick mortar stores.  Those are CMC.  You can only find the AZO/DataLife Plus Verbatim CD-R in online stores.  About half of the problems we see here are caused by CMC media and the problems generally disappear when the higher quality Verbatim media is used.

To cover all bases, were these CMC discs used before without problems or is this the first time these CMC discs are being used?  If the CMC discs worked before, you shouldn't be using them, but if they worked and if you want to keep using cheap media, your drive probably needs replacing then.

It's a brand new drive. I am able to burn using the Windows File explorer. Is there an option I can disable or change so it works until we go thru this stock? I am not sure when it stopped working for them, but ImgBurn is the application they are using and have been for years. 

Brand new drive doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I've had several new drives that had to be sent back because they came bad from the factory.  But, a newer drive does more easily rule out the drive being problem.  However, I never really suspected the drive.  It's the cheap CMC media that's the problem.  However, a new drive could be the problem if the new drive came from the factory bad, which, as I've said, I have seen happen before.

ImgBurn just sends commands to drives.  It's up the drive and the media in the drive working together as to how well it behaves.  Changing the ImgBurn software won't have any effect on that at all.

One thing you could try is checking for a firmware update to the drive.  An updated firmware might have better compatibility between media and drive.  A drive's interactivity with media is based on the firmware it contains.

While this may be a new drive and the user may have been using ImgBurn for years, have they always been using these same CD-R?  And even if they were, there's no guarantee the CD-R manufacturer didn't change the formula for the discs so they no longer work with a drive.  I've seen it happen to my WH16NS60 and Verbatim MCC DVD+R.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.