No Writers Detected! on Windows 7

Gabe

If you encounter this problem in the future, the best way you can probably tell if your drive is a read only drive and not a burner is to open ImgBurn and then go into Read mode.  If it detects your drive in Read mode, but it's not detected in Write mode, it is most likely a read only drive and not a writer.

Thank you, dbminter and LIGHTNING UK!

What's odd to me is I just tried a Roofull External CD/DVD Reader/Writer and I also get a 'No Writers Detected!' with that drive.

Device Manager shows that drive as a HL-DT-ST DVDROM DT30N USB Device.  Is this not a cd/dvd writer?

I've attached the latest log.   It's listed there as Drive 2.

ImgBurn2.log

I understand it if you do not want to recommend specific hardware, but are there any inexpensive external cd writers on Amazon you would be so kind as to please point me to, if you think procuring one of those might fix my inability to write cd's?

I see one best seller there from Rodzon and another one from Rioddas.

Edited by Gabe
incomplete messsage

If Device Manager lists it as a "DVD-ROM," it's a DVD reader, not a burner.  Unless Windows is not properly detecting the hardware type.

I got something similar to this in store from an Office Depot:

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-External-DVD-Writer-Compatible/dp/B01BY4PZLE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2CLBSIX0KFPMD&dchild=1&keywords=verbatim+external+slimline+cd%2Fdvd+writer&qid=1606594366&sprefix=verbatm+externa%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFIV0RMRUFLTE82M1cmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5OTQzNTFQU05JV0lZQjdCVlQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDU3NDI1MDNVNDBYT0FWMFFYSjgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

It has worked well in what tests I threw at it.  This listed model has M Disc capabilities, which mine didn't, so, as I said, it's not exactly the same one I tried out.

I think dbminter might have shed some light on what's wrong by writing "unless Windows is not properly detecting the hardware type."

I tried a Verbatim External Slimline CD/DVD Writer model 98938, and it's also not listed as a writer in the Feurio CD Writer Writer Settings.

Even though it's listed in Windows 7 Device Manager as a Mass Storage Device, Feurio does not recognize it as a Writer.

Feurio is able to Read an Audio cd inserted into that drive, but cannot write to a blank cd inserted into the drive.

Any suggestions on how to proceed to get Feurio to recognize it as a valid Writer?

To be honest, I have to think you probably can't  Given the age of Windows 7, the driver being loaded for that device is probably so old that the driver doesn't recognize such newer drives as writers.  You could try seeing if there's an updated Windows 7 driver from the manufacturer's web site, but there probably isn't one, given Windows 7's age.

3 minutes ago, dbminter said:

To be honest, I have to think you probably can't  Given the age of Windows 7, the driver being loaded for that device is probably so old that the driver doesn't recognize such newer drives as writers.  You could try seeing if there's an updated Windows 7 driver from the manufacturer's web site, but there probably isn't one, given Windows 7's age.

THANK YOU!!!

What I have to wonder is given the age discrepancy between Windows 7 and modern burners, if Windows 7 doesn't have updated drivers and is just loading what it thinks will work.  Which, in this case, is just a standard DVD-ROM drive driver.  You could try going into Device Manager and check what driver is being loaded.  If it's some kind of generic Microsoft driver, it's probably just loading a DVD-ROM driver.

That I'm afraid is incorrect. Win 10 uses the same generic optical drive driver that's existed in 8(.1) and 7. It's not a driver problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You could try changing ImgBurn's driver interface, but since you said even Windows Explorer doesn't recognize 2 connected burners as burners, that probably won't help.  The cause does seem to be a deeply rooted Windows misconfiguration.  You could try downloading and installing the Elby CD IO package.  See if that "fixes" whatever the cause may be.  That way, you could set Elby as the driver interface in ImgBurn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.