Unable to burn to dual-layer DVDs on any computer

SlyCooperReloadCoded

I was planning on turning a bunch of VHS tapes into a watchable DVD for a friend.  However, once I got to the burning process, the issues started.  For context, I'm using Verbatim DVD+R DL DVDs, and I've tried burning on two completely clean and up-to-date computers capable of reading from and writing to these discs.  Their specs are:

Computer 1:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Intel Core i7-6700K

NVIDIA GTX 1080

16 GB DDR4 Memory

Computer 2:

Windows 7 Home x64

Intel Core i5-6200U

Intel HD Graphics 520

8 GB DDR3 Memory

Now onto the issue - I'm unable to burn anything to dual-layered DVDs, but ONLY dual-layered ones.  Single-layered DVDs don't have this issue.  On Computer 1, attempting to burn an ISO to a dual-layered DVD causes it to get anywhere from 50% to 90% complete, then fail with the error "I/O error 0x02 Check Condition".  On Computer 2, it completes the "Writing leadin" part, then stays at 0%, the drive in a loop of spinning up and spinning down, never running into any errors but also never making any progress.

The ISO I'm trying to burn was created using ImgBurn, and it has the proper breakpoint set for use with dual-layered DVDs, and if I mount the ISO and load it in VLC Media Player (it's a DVD movie ISO I made using a program, so no copy protection), it loads and plays fine, so the ISO isn't the problem.  If I instead use Windows 10's built-in disc burner on Computer 1, it gets to near the end of "Finaliazing disc..." then fails with error 0x8007045D, and error code stating that some hardware is broken.  However, on both Computer 1 and Computer 2, I can burn anything to any single-layer DVD without any issues.

I've ruled out a hardware failure since it happens across multiple computers and multiple drives, I've ruled out an OS problem since Windows 10 and 7 have similar issues, and I've ruled out the ISO being messed up since it plays fine in VLC Media Player on any computer I mount it on.  I've wasted four blank DVDs out of my 10-pack, and I need four burned DVDs to give to my friend before Christmas comes because they're gifts for her family members, so I don't have time for issues, especially ones like this that defy the error codes they give out.  I don't want to use any more of my discs or buy any new disc drives until this is figured out and fixed.

There's only two possibilities I see, the first being much more likely:

1. ImgBurn is having some sort of bug.

2. Both my computers just coincidentally happened to break in the exact same way at the exact same time with the exact same issue.

Time is of the essence for this project, and r/TechSupport on Reddit is useless as always since my posts get buried behind 2 pages of new posts almost instantly and never get seen.  Anyone know what's going on here?  The log file from Computer 1 is attatched.

ImgBurn.log

Just as I thought.  Check out this part of the log:

I 04:05:03 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D03-64)

You're using the junk Verbatim discs.  CMC makes the worst media out there.  If you bought these Verbatim in a brick and mortar store, you got the junk discs.  You want the DataLife Plus (NOT the Life Series from stores.) or AZO labeled discs you only find in online stores like Amazon.com.

This also explains why you got a failure on 2 different PC's.  As you said, you ruled out the hardware, but you never thought the discs themselves might be the problem.

CMC causes over half the problems we see on this board.  The problems generally tend to disappear when people move away from the junk CMC media.

Since I made this post, I found out a few more things.  Turns out it might actually be hardware damage.  I tried burning a single-layer disc because that used to work.  Used to - now it just gets stuck on "Writing Leadin" indefinitely.  I'm buying an external drive now, I will buy some of the discs you recommended as well, I didn't know there was a difference.

If these single layers that are failing are also Verbatim that were bought in a brick and mortar store, they probably are CMC, too.  Check the log of one of these failed single layer burns and look for a line that says Destination Media Type or Disc ID in it.  If there's some kind of string that says CMC (Not MCC, which is quality Verbatim single layer DVD.) they're probably the Life Series from a brick and mortar store and are the junk I mentioned.

The nature of CMC is sometimes you get discs that work and sometimes you don't.  Even within the same stack of discs, you can get some that complete burn and then get some that don't.  The problem with CMC is even if they complete burn, they can still be complete junk.  I had some CMC DVD+R once that completed burns, but my DVD player didn't recognize there was anything on them to play.  Plus, with CMC junk, they won't last as long before they die as the good quality Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs.  So, in the long run, you're better off switching to the quality stuff over CMC across the board.

The single-layered ones aren't Verbatim, however I've used over 100 of them and not a single one was a bad burn.  It's a hardware issue.  I'm buying a USB 3.0 external drive that can do everything except Blu-Ray (because I have a modded PS3 that can dump games) and a 50-pack spindle of the Verbatim discs recommended to me.  Don't worry, I checked and they are Verbatim DataLife Plus.

I would make sure those DataLife Plus are still not CMC.  Depending on where you live in the world, DataLife/DataLife Plus may not necessarily be the good stuff.  For instance, in some parts of the world, DataLife is CMC!  :o  Insert one of these discs into a burner, open ImgBurn, go into Write mode, and look in the right hand panel of information for Manufacturer/Disc ID and see what it says.  Particularly make sure it doesn't say CMC anywhere in it.  But, you'll also want to watch out for things like RITEK, which can be iffy media, too.  Ideally, it will say MCC, but, be aware with some LG burners, CMC, which unfortunately owns Verbatim now :rolleyes:, changed the manufacturing process for MCC media so they no longer work with certain LG models.

Well, I'll be able to tell you in a day or two.  These are the ones I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-4-7GB-DataLifePlus-Inkjet-Printable/dp/B0007NY0VK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=verbatim+datalifeplus+dvd&qid=1608260067&sr=8-1

I can't find any mention of CMC anywhere on the page.

Almost all of the reviews say that these specific discs have never failed them after "going through many boxes of them".

I can tell you from personal buying experience those discs you linked are not CMC but MCC.  I don't use them anymore because, as I said, CMC/Verbatim changed the manufacturing process for those discs so they no longer work with LG's WH16NS60 BD burner.  But, for a brief period, they worked just fine for me.

Basically, I'm pretty much the only person who puts the DID in reviews on Amazon.com.  :) The manufacturer will never tell you they're CMC's on the product description page because then people wouldn't buy them knowing they are what they are: junk.  CMC makes its money by selling to the unwitting.  They can get 1 sale from a person, at least, before they wise up and avoid the CMC trash.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.