Disc label gets randomly changed to apparently Chinese characters

dbminter

I've encountered this a few times in the past, but it seems to be random and I haven't been able to isolate the circumstances that triggers it.

Sometimes, when exiting the interface where you add files and folders in Advanced mode, ImgBurn will return an error that it "crashed" and offer to close the program, continue, or maybe send a bug report; I forget.  I've always just continued and ImgBurn goes on, but it does change the UDF Volume Label of the disc to apparently random Chinese characters.

Next time this happens, I'll see if it's possible to send a bug report.  I don't remember.

Yes, there.  In the UDF field.  I'll have a label already defined in the UDF field, then go into the interface to add files or folders.  When I exit out, sometimes, randomly, ImgBurn crashes and when I choose to continue, ImgBurn goes on, but it has removed my UDF field entry and replaced it with apparently Chinese characters.

So if I understood correctly, you click on one of the two icons within the Source section to add files or folders, then you click on Cancel to exit out without making a selection, and the UDF field is changed to a Chinese character. Is that right?

I hardly ever use the Build mode. But I can't seem to replicate the problem you are describing, either by clicking Cancel and exiting out without making a selection or by clicking on Open (or Select Folder) and making a selection. It suspect something is very wrong with your ImgBurn installation. Have you done a memory test to see if your RAM memory is at fault?

No, I don't click Cancel.  I X close the add window interface after adding files so I get back to the Volume field window.  That's when ImgBurn "crashes."

You probably won't be able to replicate it.  It appears to be random, or, more likely, such an unusual set of circumstances to activate it that you don't encounter it normally.  For instance, I'd say this happens maybe 1 in 100 times.

This has happened on 3 different PC's over the years, so it seems highly unlikely to be an ImgBurn installation fault or bad RAM.

Interesting... this may be a known bug then?

It sounds like you're describing the "Disc Layout Editor"...

337232785_imgburn-disc-layouteditor.png.9f2872aa8e506b79fa223d189870470c.png

Are you describing the X at the top right?

This window becomes available only after enabling "Advanced" from the Input menu. It changes the appearance of Build mode.

build-mode-advanced.png.dc426a17b30e93177aecb7e701484b7b.png

I have not seen this feature before, so I'm not familiar with it. But I did try to add a couple of files and folders to the list and then clicking the X at the top right to exit out. I tried doing this a couple of times. It did not change my "SOMETHING HELLO" string in the UDF field.

At what position does it insert the Chinese character? Is it at the end of the string? Is it any particular type of file that you add that causes this?

If it happens on 3 different PCs and has been happening over the past few years, I'd say it is most likely a bug within ImgBurn. Not a major one but a bug nonetheless.

Yes, the Disc Layout Editor.  I had forgotten what it was called.  And that is the X close I was talking about in Advanced Mode.

It is after adding files and clicking the X button that triggers this.  SOME series of steps triggers this, but I've never been able to determine what it is.

The entire UDF label field is replaced when this happens.  Usually, the beginning is blank and the trailing end of the string is a series of Chinese, maybe Japanese, characters.

• 1 month later...

I don't actually know. That crash is from something to do with destroying the components on the main 'form' (window), but that's all handled outside of my own code and I've never had it happen to me when in the actual development environment - whereby I might then be able to look into it a bit more. Your issue could be causing that crash. Maybe sometimes the issue doesn't cause the weird characters, but still causes the crash on close. It all depends on how much memory is being overwritten.

I expect the only way to catch the issue this topic deals with is to enable additional debugging stuff that checks for anything accessing bits of memory it shouldn't be accessing. Enabling it adds a lot of overhead though, so it would need to be a test build just for you to attempt to recreate the issue again.

Considering I can't reliably trigger the problem, the resulting logs would probably be so large with unrelated data it's probably not feasible to enable additional debugging.  I mean, I can go for days without it happening.

• 3 weeks later...

I am starting to believe all those random crashes reports I used to send in were this issue.  I had a crash just now and I'd been doing roughly the same thing.  While I didn't notice the change to Chinese characters, this issue sometimes manifests itself as the ISO9660 Label field clearing itself out instead of changing the UDF Label to Chinese characters.

• 1 month later...

I have noticed this is related to another issue I had posted about.  I didn't know the 2 were apparently correlated, but one crash appears to cause the other.

There was another issue I'd posted where in the Disc Layout Editor, dragging and dropping a folder would actually import an entirely different folder on the same drive.  It seemed to be a random issue, but I managed to trigger it after one of these crashes where the characters get changed to either Chinese characters, a single bracket, or a lower case D.  (Those last 2 were new additions I discovered could happen in addition to the random Chinese characters.)

@LIGHTNING UK!

If you want me to try out some kind bug enabled logging version of ImgBurn, I'm willing to give it a shot to try and isolate this issue.  While I've not been able to determine what causes it, I've had it happened at least once a day every day for the past few days.  So, it seems I can reliably expect it to happen at some point.  You said this logging would probably be some kind of resource intensive operation, but I'm willing to try it if you are.  Just let me know.

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.