Log window issue

dbminter

I've got a nagging issue with the Log window that there may be nothing that can be done about.

Whenever I turn off my monitor with ImgBurn open, the Log window starts at the bottom of the screen, which is where I want it to be.  Whenever I turn my monitor back on, though, the Log window has moved farther up the screen to nearly the bottom of the top ImgBurn window.  This forces me to drag and drop the Log window back to near the bottom of the screen to lock it back where I want.  This happens every time I power off the monitor, but it does NOT happen if I Lock Windows, e.g. lock Windows where I have to input my password to log back into Windows.

I have a feeling it has something to do with my monitor and the graphics hardware.  My monitor is an old DVI one that has an HDMI adapter on it because I have no dedicated graphics card.  Just the HDMI port on the motherboard.  So, I have to wonder if this has something to do with UHD/HDMI that my monitor is connected by.

Thanks!

I currently have ImgBurn open (and not doing anything) with the main window at the top and the log window at the bottom (which is default behaviour).

I'll shortly be turning off my monitor and will see where the log window is when I turn it back on in the morning.

Does it need to be the active (foreground) app when turning off the monitor? (does that make a difference?) When you turn your monitor on again, do you notice windows doing any sort of resizing / changing of resolution etc?

If you're using an onboard video port, can I assume it's just an Intel controller of some kind? What do you see under 'Display Adapters' in Device Manager?

I don't think it makes a difference if ImgBurn is the foreground application or not, but I'm not entirely sure.  I am pretty sure, though, this does happen to ImgBurn when it's minimized to the System Tray when the power to the monitor is turned off.  When the monitor is powered back on and ImgBurn is made the foreground application again, the Log window has changed position.

I guess it's Intel UHD because there was a recent Dell Update called Intel UHD.

I believe Windows does some kind of resizing.  For instance, some open File Explorer windows have changed position when the power comes back on.  And some open application windows, if open when the power was on, are in a different place on the screen when the power is turned back on to the monitor.

Device Manager --> Display Adapters says "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630."

I don't think it's changing the screen resolution.  If it is, it is changing it on power off of the monitor, then reinstating the old value when its powered back on.

To illustrate the issue, I discovered when the Log window is moved to the right of the main ImgBurn window, the log window, on power back on of the monitor, moves the Log window OVER the main ImgBurn window.  I've attached screenshots to show it.

After Power Cycle Of Monitor Screenshot 2021-04-08 203336.jpg

Before Power Off Of Monitor Screenshot 2021-04-08 203237.jpg

I attached the screenshots in the wrong order.  The 2nd one is supposed to be the first one, before the power off of the monitor.  The 1st one is supposed to be the second one, after the power cycle of the monitor.

The screen saver activates after 10 minutes, but that doesn't cause the issue.  It's when I power off the monitor myself manually.  I don't have standby/hibernation/power saving enabled on my PC.  This issue will happen if the screen saver is active or not.  If the screen saver activates while the monitor is powered on, the windows do not change position when logging back into Windows.  If the screen saver is activated and the monitor is power cycled, the windows change position after I've logged back in.  If the screen saver isn't activated and the monitor is power cycled, the windows change position.

BTW, this isn't just an ImgBurn issue.  It also happens with Macrium Reflect and open File Explorer windows.  If I run a long backup overnight in Reflect and power off the monitor, the log window of that application is also no longer centered on the screen when the monitor is powered back on.  I just thought maybe you might know something about this that I've overlooked.

Yes but if you turn the monitor off, maybe Windows thinks it has been disconnected and is then using this emulated one, which has the wrong resolution.

I don't know, I'm just clutching at straws! haha

My log window was where I left it when I turned monitor back on this morning. I'm on an nvidia gpu though, not onboard.

Yes, back when I had a dedicated nVidia graphics card in my last Dell XPS 8930, this issue was not present.  Nor was it ever present on any of my DVI nVidia graphics card enabled PC's.  Just on this current model of the XPS 8930, which has no dedicated graphics card and must use UHD/HDMI to connect on the mobo.

Oh, one other data point.  When I lock Windows, eventually, the screen saver activates.  When I power back on the monitor and the screen saver is activated, the "screen" has shrunk to smaller sized square on the left side of the screen, with black areas under it and on the right side.

That's where my initial link would come in handy.

From what I could make out, it's just a reg key that holds the config of your monitor(s). You clear it out, get your physical monitor back in there, turn it off and leave it so the emulated one gets created, turn it back on and then copy over the physical one's settings to the emulated one.

That way, when the emulated one kicks in, it's running at the same res and nothing gets moved around.

Yes, I had dismissed the resolution changing because I thought it wasn't happening.  I had forgotten about the screen saver changing size.  But your link may just do the trick.  I will try it out.  I'm quite adept at following technological instructions.

That won't work.  I didn't enable the screen saver on my last test.  I just locked Windows, turned off the monitor, turned it back on, and logged back into Windows.  The ImgBurn Log window had moved again without the screen saver coming into play at all.  But, if I did let the screen saver activate, the problem would persist because it persisted without the screen saver activating.

Anyway, I now see this isn't an ImgBurn issue as I had forgotten it also affected other applications like Macrium Reflect and the screen saver.  So, I'm sorry for taking up space here with this.  Unless someone can think of something else, I guess we can consider this issue closed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

@LIGHTNING UK!

I got a new monitor.  One using a direct HDMI cable instead of a DVI to HDMI bridge.  The issue is still present.  Here are steps to replicate the issue:

1.) Start a disc burn.
2.) Once the burn starts, lock Windows so you must enter your password to keep using Windows.
3.) Power off the monitor.
4.) After, say, 1 minute, power back on the monitor.
5.) Log back into Windows with your user password.
6.) What I have is a Log window that minimized itself to the far lower left hand side of the screen.  See attach screen capture video for what I'm seeing.

ImgBurn Log Window Video

Hm, I can't explain why the video quality is so poor.  It's never done this this way before.  You're probably better off saving the file and viewing it locally for a better chance of seeing what I'm seeing.  Hopefully, it will still express what I'm seeing.  If not, here are some screen captures:

Minimized Log Window

Opened Log Window From Mimized Window

Resized Window To Normal Position

Thanks!

8 hours ago, dbminter said:

I got a new monitor.  One using a direct HDMI cable instead of a DVI to HDMI bridge.  The issue is still present.  Here are steps to replicate the issue:

1.) Start a disc burn.
2.) Once the burn starts, lock Windows so you must enter your password to keep using Windows.
6.) What I have is a Log window that minimized itself to the far lower left hand side of the screen.  See attach screen capture video for what I'm seeing.

ImgBurn Log Window Video

Hm, I can't explain why the video quality is so poor.  It's never done this this way before.  You're probably better off saving the file and viewing it locally for a better chance of seeing what I'm seeing.  Hopefully, it will still express what I'm seeing.  If not, here are some screen captures:

Minimized Log Window

Thanks!

I have reported the exact thing among other issues in earlier 2020-2021  and although supposedly  "Lightning UK" have seen it, but was basically pointing to windows issue and was never fixed, so good luck.

I am really struggling to understand why would the persons who took over this domain keep this alive, I truly don't see a purpose..Imgburn is absolutely undeniably dead so should be this supposedly "Support site" support for what?  its rhetorical question so please don't answer.

Edited by AWKJ

1 hour ago, AWKJ said:

I have reported the exact thing among other issues in earlier 2020-2021  and although supposedly  "Lightning UK" have seen it, but was basically pointing to windows issue and was never fixed, so good luck.

I am really struggling to understand why would the persons who took over this domain keep this alive, I truly don't see a purpose..Imgburn is absolutely undeniably dead so should be this supposedly "Support site" support for what?  its rhetorical question so please don't answer.

This is not the issue you reported. Your log issue was with window snapping... which I've fixed.

Quite a while ago you said 'this is my last post'.... and yet here you still are with your negative attitude, posting utter nonsense about me not being who I've always been. Do yourself a favour and stay to true to your word.

9 hours ago, dbminter said:

@LIGHTNING UK!

1.) Start a disc burn.

ImgBurn Log Window Video

Minimized Log Window

Thanks!

I still can't replicate it.

Admittedly, I didn't try burning a disc and doing it, but then I don't see why that would make a difference.

I locked my machine, turned off the monitor, left it a minute, turned it back on, logged back in and everything was exactly where I left it.

Does it really only happen if you're burning when you lock the machine? Has the burn finished by the time you turn the monitor back on again or is it still in progress?

I tried it just now, and it doesn't have be burning to replicate.  I just opened ImgBurn, left it as the main focused application, locked Windows, powered off the monitor, waited like 10 seconds, powered the monitor back on, and it was reproduceable.

Is your monitor an HDMI using UHD driver?  I thought you said before you were using an nVIDIA graphics card, but I could be wrong.

BTW, it's not just ImgBurn.  Macrium Reflect has a similar issue.  If a backup is running and you lock Windows and power off the monitor, if the backup completes before you power the monitor back on, the Close button on the log window doesn't work properly.  Even though the log says the operation is 100% complete, pressing Close asks if I'm sure I want to cancel the operation.  If I choose Yes, Close becomes grayed out and the window cannot be closed.  Task Manager must be implemented to kill off the application.

Another application's operation completed window with an OK button in a similar situation will fill up the entire screen, even though that window cannot normally be resized.  The OK button cannot be selected either, forcing another Task Manager kill of the application.

So, it seems to be some kind of Windows related issue.  Possibly involving HDMI and UHD combination.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.