MID's over the past nearly 20 years

dbminter

I thought I'd start a list of Disc ID's that are "known good" and "known bad."  Meaning, still readable after several years, including up to nearly 20 years from when they were recorded.

KNOWN GOOD DISC MID'S (Manufacturer ID)

The definition of a known good Manufacturer ID is a disc that burned successfully, passed Verify, and is still readable fully after at least a few years.

BeAll G00001 (Sample recorded nearly 18 years ago.  I had expected this sample to be only partially readable.  My memory was BeAll was a maker of bad discs.  This sample, though, showed otherwise.)

Hitachi Maxell

MCC-X (No longer writes properly on the LG WH16NS60.  CMC/Verbatim apparently changed the formula for the dye on this disc and it's no longer compatible with that drive.)

MCC 03RG20 (No longer writes properly on the LG WH16NS60.  CMC/Verbatim apparently changed the formula for the dye on this disc and it's no longer compatible with that drive.)

MKM-X (Recorded 12 years ago.  Still readable.)

MXL RG01 (Recorded 18 years and 2 days ago to be precise.  4 18 year old samples still readable, even though out of 2 MXL RG03 discs from 18 years ago, one was fully readable and one was only partially readable.  So, take these results as you will.)

LD (Probably short for Lead Data.  Nearly 18 year old sample still reads.)

LEAD-X/LEAD DATA-X (Recorded over 18 years ago.  Still readable.)

Lead Data (19 samples recorded over 18 years ago.  Still readable.)

OPTODISC-X

OPTODISC (4 samples recorded over 18 years ago.  All still readable.  With a caveat.  After I stopped counting, came across 2 such discs that were not still fully readable after 18 years.  So, take these results as you will.  4/6 of them were still good, but is that good enough?  However, Optodisc is no longer a player in the field, so it doesn't matter.  But, if you've got older OPTODISC's out there that are still fully readable, I HIGHLY recommend you copy them to quality discs ASAP.)

OPTODISCK001 (Recorded 18 years and 1 day ago to be precise.  3 recorded samples still readable after 18 years.)

RICOH-X

RICOHJPN-R00-01 (Recorded over 18 years ago.  3 samples still readable.)

RICOHJPN-W21-01

RITEK-X (Recorded nearly 19 years ago.  Still readable.  Does NOT apply to DVD+R DL.  Ritek DVD+R DL tends to be unreadable after only a year.)

RITEK-008-00

RITEKG03 (28 sample discs recorded over 18 years ago.  All still readable.  Known to cause playback skips and pops on the original 2000 first release fat model Playstation 2 on the 2011/2012 2nd model fat Playstation 3.)

RITEKG04 (3 sample discs recorded 18 years ago.  Still readable.  Known to cause playback skips and pops on the original 2000 first release fat model Playstation 2 on the 2011/2012 2nd model fat Playstation 3.)

SONY (1 nearly 18 year old sample still readable.)

SONY04D1 (6 16 year old recorded samples.  Still readable.  A 5th sample, date burned unknown, is still readable.)

SONY08D1 (6 18 year old recorded samples.  Still readable.)

TAIYOYUDEN (Recorded over 18 years ago.  Still readable.)

TDKG02000000 (1 12 days from being 18 years recorded sample that reads fine.  2 samples that read fine.)

TYG0X

VERBAT-IM-X

KNOWN BAD DISC MID'S (Manufacturer ID)

The definition of a known bad Manufacturer ID is a disc that either failed to burn successfully, failed Verify, or is not readable or partially unreadable after at least a few years.

CMC-X

MXL GR03 (Had 2 nearly 18 year old discs.  One was fully readable but one was only partially readable.  So, I'm putting it down under "bad" due to the partial failure.)

PRINCO (I thought Princo was a known bad manufacturer, but I had a 12 days from being 18 years recorded sample that reads fine.  Then, I found a sample that when I recorded it back when, shortly afterwards, it became unreadable according to my notes on it.  14 samples, 4 over 18 years old, have read fine thus far.  So, I've marked this as a "bad" manufacturer because of the initial burn problem, but take these results as you will as more samples than not were still readable after 18 years.)

VANGUARD-X

VANGUARD (Completely undetectable after 1 year.  No contents visible.)

VIVASTAR (4 samples either completely undetectable or partially unreadable after over 15 years.  No contents visible for some.  ImgBurn detects some recorded discs as "Disc Is Empty.")

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.