USB2 or USB3

fpefpe

Hello ---  I just noticed  this about a usb dvd drive that I connected to my computer.  the unit is  sold as a usb3  device, but  when I  check the  imgburn log, it  notes it as a usb2 device --- does imgburn get this  info from the dev manager?   NOTE that the drive is  connected to a  a usb3 port on the computer 

is there a difference in the speed for a usb2  / usb3  optical drive? 

info2.txt

It's a feature limitation in the current build of ImgBurn.  ImgBurn's last update was over 5 years ago and, back when it was built, I'm not sure USB 3.0 specifications had been released yet.  So, it couldn't differentiate between USB 2.x and USB 3.0.  This limitation will be addressed when the next release comes out.  And, no, don't ask when that will be.  :)  LUK has said he plans to get an update out "this year," but who knows?  :lol:  VSO said 2 years ago that ConvertXToDVD 8 would be out next year and there hasn't been any updates since.

There is a speed difference between USB 2.x and USB 3.0 devices.  (Actually, it's not the drive that's USB anything.  It's the external enclosure it's contained inside that is.)  However, if you are talking about a Blu-Ray device, it must be contained in a USB 3.0 enclosure, I think, in order to operate at anywhere near an acceptable rate to complete operations at intended speeds.

It's not a limitation of ImgBurn current release. Most probably the enclosure is the culprit.

ImgBurn knows USB 3.0 from  2.5.8.0 - 16th June 2013

The changelog clearly states:  Added: The effective USB connection speed (1.1, 2.0, 3.0) for USB devices to the initial device scan log entries.

2.5.8.0 knew how to detect usb 3.0 (as it was at time of release), but Microsoft then changed their minds on how they wanted to do things and now there’s another way to detect it. That’s what 2.5.8.0 can’t utilise.

It’s purely cosmetic though and your drive / enclosure will work at whatever speed they’ve negotiated at with the chipset.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.