Read speeds

dbminter

How are read speeds determined?  Are there Read Speed descriptors written to media like there are Write Speed descriptors?  I ask because some of my older discs from like 18 years ago read at only like 3x speed.  However, some of my later 8x discs from a few years later read at like 7x.

Thanks!

That would probably be a chipset / firmware thing.

If the drive seems to be reading slowly, it could be because of it having difficulty reading, so it’s automatically slowed itself down. They can also slow themselves down if they determine it’s a video disc of some sort - so the drive is quiet and it doesn’t interfere with you watching a movie or whatever.

All of these ranging read speeds were on "DVD Video" discs in that that had VIDEO_TS folders, but they were made by a Panasonic DVD video recorder.  So, I had to copy the VIDEO_TS into an image file in Build mode since they create multiple sessions/tracks, I forget which.  The later ones read faster so I was wondering if there was some kind of read descriptor in them that might have a higher value as they were newer discs and, therefore, had higher speeds available.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.