BIN file with 2 tracks - how to read it?

MrPepka

I have a couple of game magazine CD images and those images are multi-sector bin files. The trouble is, I only have 2 tracks of such files and I don't really know how to open them. I tried CDMage but it didn't help. How can I open such CD images?

Oh, do you want to mount the BIN as a virtual drive so you can treat it like a virtual CD drive?  You said you have .BIN files, but do you also have .CUE files or a .CCD file?  If you have the original disc, try reading it to an image file set with ImgBurn in Read mode with .CCD file generation enabled.  Then, install Virtual CloneDrive, with which you can mount the .CCD file as a virtual drive and copy/run the contents from it like you would a real CD.

If you don't have the original CD and only have a BIN/CUE set, then I don't what you could do beyond burning the BIN/CUE file to a rewritable CD/DVD/BD and make a new image from that disc you just burned so you get the proper CUE/CCD/DVD file generation.  There's no Create CCD option in ImgBurn like there is for CUE or DVD for use with Virtual CloneDrive.  And, you may be unable to burn this BIN.  I forget which it is, but ImgBurn doesn't support writing images with multiple sessions or tracks.

Without an associated CUE file, I don't know what you can really do with a BIN file.  That's why I asked if you had a CUE file associated with it.  Do you have a CUE file associated with that BIN file?  I haven't used it in years, but I used to use something called Alcohol 120% for images or discs that ImgBurn couldn't handle.  I believe there is a freeware version of Alcohol 120%.  I'd try that first.

Have you tried loading the CUE file into ImgBurn for burning to a rewritable CD/DVD/BD and see if it will burn that CUE file?  If it does, then burn the BIN/CUE to a rewritable disc and use ImgBurn's Read mode with CCD file generation enabled in the options.  This will save the disc to a new image file format of CCD and IMG files.  Then the CCD file can be mounted in VirtualClone Drive.  Now, I think Alcohol 120% had its own virtual drives driver so it may natively support mounting BIN/CUE files, which would save you the step of having to burn the temporary disc and rereading it.  But, as I said, it's been some years since I last used Alcohol 120%.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that error message.  So, I'd see if Alcohol 120% has a virtual drive driver that supports BIN/CUE.  If it doesn't, see if Daemon Tools Lite will mount BIN/CUE as virtual drives.  It's been even longer than Alcohol 120% since I last used Daemon Tools Lite, so I'm not sure.  Those are the only 3 programs I've used that might/have virtual drive support.

There is one last option if those I mentioned don't pan out, but it requires a bit of work.  You could post your BIN/CUE combo to cloud storage and give me a link to it.  I can then burn the BIN/CUE to a rewritable disc on my end, create a new set with CCD/IMG from it, and put those files on my cloud storage, sending you a link to the new files.  You can then mount the CCD in Virtual CloneDrive and treat it like a physical CD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.