Read Errors in log, but not in program window?

DWreck1995

Hi,

I'm curious about when I get read errors showing up in the log window but not in the program window? ImgBurn seems to continue reading the disc (albeit very slowly) when this happens. Does this mean it was able to successfully read the sectors and move on at some point?

I'm sorry I don't have a log file since it's a random occurrence. But I did manage to get a screenshot once, so I've attached it since it shows what I'm talking about.

Example.jpg

2 minutes ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

That means the drive initially failed to read the block of sectors, but then managed to read them all when the program switched to reading them one at a time.

Thanks for explaining. Other than it taking significantly longer to finish, there's nothing wrong with letting it continue like that is there?

Also, is this type or error suggestive of a drive failing if it happens often? I also get "Retry Failed - Reason: Logical Unit has not Self-Configured Yet" sometimes.

It switches back to reading a block at a time pretty quickly, so any slowness is just where your drive is really struggling to read the disc.

You should probably save images of them or burn to another disc ASAP, in case they’re eventually totally unreadable.

Hard to know where the fault lies without trying to read those same discs in another drive.

I don’t recall having seen that other error you mentioned before. That in itself probably isn’t a good sign!

10 hours ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

It switches back to reading a block at a time pretty quickly, so any slowness is just where your drive is really struggling to read the disc.

You should probably save images of them or burn to another disc ASAP, in case they’re eventually totally unreadable.

Hard to know where the fault lies without trying to read those same discs in another drive.

I don’t recall having seen that other error you mentioned before. That in itself probably isn’t a good sign!

4 hours ago, dbminter said:

Yes, that error message came as a surprise to me, too.

Since you haven't seen that second error before, I managed to get a log that has it. I've attached it here if you're interested. I'm also getting another drive to confirm if it's the discs or the drive once and for all.

PS: The log shows I'm running Win 8, I'm not. I'm running Win 10.

ImgBurn.log

Edited by DWreck1995
Grammar

I noticed this in your log:

W 13:07:30 AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn's ability to verify accurately, please ensure it's disabled!

Did you try shutting down AnyDVD first before attempting to read to an image file?  It probably doesn't matter, but it should be tried to isolate it's not the problem.

As for Windows 10 showing up as Windows 8, that's a cosmetic issue.  Microsoft changed how Windows 10 identifies itself so newer versions afterwards show up as Windows 8.  This will be fixed in the upcoming release, and, no, don't ask when it will be out.  :wink:

17 minutes ago, dbminter said:

I noticed this in your log:

W 13:07:30 AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn's ability to verify accurately, please ensure it's disabled!

Did you try shutting down AnyDVD first before attempting to read to an image file?  It probably doesn't matter, but it should be tried to isolate it's not the problem.

As for Windows 10 showing up as Windows 8, that's a cosmetic issue.  Microsoft changed how Windows 10 identifies itself so newer versions afterwards show up as Windows 8.  This will be fixed in the upcoming release, and, no, don't ask when it will be out.  :wink:

For some reason it still appears even after AnyDVD has been "disabled". It only goes away if you exit the app. But yeah, I did try that.

Glad to hear that'll get fixed in the upcoming release. I'll make note of it in my "when Hell freezes over" list lol.

I don't have AnyDVD running at all when ImgBurn is open.  So, I don't know if setting AnyDVD to Disabled is enough.  The ImgBurn prompt does say to make sure it's disabled, but, @LIGHTNING UK! does that mean to completely exit AnyDVD or is disabling AnyDVD but it still resident enough?  If it should be totally shutdown instead of disabled, maybe the AnyDVD prompt in the ImgBurn log should be changed to reflect this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.