WH16NS60 BD-R DL

gen_angry

Hello,

I currently have an old WH14NS40 from a very long time ago that fails to burn BD-R DL (VERBAT-IMf-000) disks quite often. It's been through it's paces and I'm looking to replace it. My primary use for the drive is for backups.

I read that the newer WH16NS40 still has the problem but the WH16NS60 seems to be what's usually recommended. What I'm wondering is that if they've fixed the BD-R DL issues or not with it or are there any other drives out now that are better? I primarily burn BD-R DL and BD-R disks (as well as CD-Rs for a few retro machines but that doesn't seem to be a concern), rarely DVDs anymore.

I have never burned BD-R DL in the WH16NS60, but I have burned several BD-RE DL in it.  I've had no issues with those, but I cannot say what the performance of BD-R DL would be.  The WH16NS40 failed to burn BD-RE DL 90% of the times I tried in ImgBurn except, strangely, when burning on the fly contents instead of ISO's.  Other forum users encountered the same thing.  It's weird and shouldn't make a difference, but it's a fact.

14 hours ago, dbminter said:

I have never burned BD-R DL in the WH16NS60, but I have burned several BD-RE DL in it.  I've had no issues with those, but I cannot say what the performance of BD-R DL would be.  The WH16NS40 failed to burn BD-RE DL 90% of the times I tried in ImgBurn except, strangely, when burning on the fly contents instead of ISO's.  Other forum users encountered the same thing.  It's weird and shouldn't make a difference, but it's a fact.

Appreciate the response :) That is weird with the ISOs, mine seems to fail just about every one regardless of what it is.

I think I'll go for that drive then and just change to BD-REs. Probably better anyways so I can wipe and re-burn the backup instead of doing a whole new disk.

As long as you don't intend any long term storage, BD-RE are fine.  I know DVD+RW will last at least 5 years sitting on a shelf and still be readable; I know this from experience.  But, for longer term storage, I wouldn't trust rewritables for that.

Yes, the ISO thing should make a difference, but it does.  LUK couldn't fathom it either but when someone else posted their results, I tried it on mine.  Sure enough, I bore out the on fly success, too.

Now, I will say this about BD-RE DL's in the NS60.  I don't know if it's an inherent issue in them, but I burned a few that had been written to once as they were yearly backup discs.  A year later when I went to update the backups, the disc wasn't usable again, even after only that one write had been done to them.

Anyway, of the BD burners that are out there, the NS60 has the fewest issues, unfortunately.  :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.