Problems with verify

mikeb22

I have been contacted by two  of my customers to say that the DVDs I sent them are skipping and jumping. As a test I have burnt (with verify selected) a Verbatim DVD-R. On a separate player it plays ok for about 30 minutes then skips and jumps, I have tried it on another player and got the same results. I have run verify on IMGBurn comparing this faulty disc to the ISO file on my three computers and it passes ok on each of them. The same batch of DVDs burn ok on my other computers. I am going to replace the optical drive but am worried that the verify function does not seem to be working and I might be sending out faulty DVDs in the future, am I doing something wrong.

The verify function is alright. It tells you that the disc can be read back at least in the same drive that it was burned.

Now, other drives can be picky and can't read what other drive burned correctly by whatever reason.

What you can do is to make sure that you are using quality discs such as Verbatim. But even Verbatim comes in good and bad flavour.

Since you didn't post a log so we can see witch type of disc you used please do so. You can find old logs via Help menu.

Yes, the Log will most likely tell us what I think is the problem.  You're probably using something like the Verbatim Life Series DVD's, not the DataLife Plus/AZO series, you bought in a brick and mortar store.  Those will be the CMC junk which may complete a burn and Verify, but have playback issues with many devices.

The discs I use are Verbatim 43533 (AZ.) I burn DVDs on two computers but have only had complaints about ones burnt on the one PC, so I assume it’s the optical drive that’s faulty which I am going to replace. One disc I burnt was tested on two DVD players connected to TVs and it skips at the same place about 14 minutes. I put this faulty one in my second PC and run verify and it passed ok I cannot understand why no faults were found. Hopefully changing the drive will solve my burning problems, but I am worried that I have to wait until my customers complain that I will know that I have a problem, I thought that “verify” would give me a warning.   I have attached the log files for you to see.

ImgBurn.log

I checked the log.  You're using the AZO/DataLife Plus discs from Verbatim, which are the best stuff out there, so that's not the problem.  Since it fails at precisely the same spot on different players on the same disc, it's most likely the media that's the problem, which means, in this case, it's probably the drive not writing properly to them.  Have you always used this same ASUS drive back when the burns were working?

Now, it could be a running change in the manufacturing process of the MCC's.  For instance, on the LG WH16NS60, the MCC's had a change in the manufacturing process where firmware 1.02 no longer properly wrote to them.  A firmware update, 1.03, apparently fixed it; I'm still testing it.

Your best bet is to isolate the drive.  Do as you intend and replace the drive.  See where it goes from there.

Verify, as far as I've seen, is really only for catastrophic failures.  Data can still be "read" but not necessarily on the first try.  And what reads on one hardware may not on another.  Plus, PC drives are far more "forgiving" of read issues than things like standalone DVD players.  As to my first point in the paragraph, I've seen, many times, DVD+RW that will pass a Verify, but will not play when put in a PS3 because it had actually reached the end of its life span.  Never could figure that one out.

8 months is about on average from what I've seen before a drive needs replacing.  It varies.  I've seen things from 2 months to 2 and a half years.

If you search your ImgBurn log, you'll see references to a Disc ID.  MCC is part of that DID string.  MCC stands for Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, which means Mitsubishi made those discs for Verbatim.  Mitsubishi MCC is the best stuff out there.

Not be confused with CMC, which stands for CMC Magnetics, the worst optical disc manufacturer out there.  Of course, now, CMC, OWNS Verbatim, just to confuse things!  :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.