KEEPS TELLING ME '' DISC NEEDS FORMATTING '' ON MY DVD+RW DISCS

robpeet10

I have been successfully using Img Burn for many months now, and it has worked just fine. But, lately, it tells me ''disc needs formatting'', even though they have already been formatted.  If I go ahead and format the disc again, it works fine. But, if I format the disc, eject the disc, reinstall the disc in drive, it again says '' disc needs formatting''. 

Perhaps there is a setting in the program that I am not familiar with.....?

Has anyone else experienced this....?  Thank You Very Much.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Notice the drive/disc is saying 'Formatted: No (started)' in the box on the right - that's why it's telling you that. ImgBurn defaults to wanting properly formatted discs and will attempt to get them to that state before it burns them.

Format it properly in ImgBurn so it says 'Yes' instead of 'No' and then don't use another app that's going to mess with the formatting.

If you're formatting discs in ImgBurn but then using them to write in another optical disc burning application, like say Nero, that other application is probably not properly writing to the discs, leaving them in an improper state.  I do know that in the past, Nero did not properly write to rewritable media.  When I put in discs Nero had burned into ImgBurn, it asked to properly format them, even though Nero had done so before.

It's not an impossible predicament I am in here, as I simply DO NOT use ImgBurn.  Since ImgBurn seems to have this '' bug 'in it ( at least for me ) I will use DVD DECRYPTER. After formatting my discs, DVD DECRYPTER never tell me that I need to FORMAT the already formatted DVD+RW discs. It is more irritating than anything.

And, NO, I do not use ImgBurn to format my discs.  I simply go to Windows Explorer and use WIN 10 to format them.  So, the blank DVD+RW's don't even '''see'' ImgBurn until I try to burn them.

Thank you both for your help, but there doesn't seem to be a solution to what I am experiencing. When I FORMAT my blanks, and then to have ImgBurn tell me that I have to ''format my disc'' isn't worth the bother.  But, the weird part of it is this just started happening a few weeks ago. And, I am using the same  VERBATIM blanks as I have for the past several years.

Stay well. Robert

Admittedly, it's not consistent.  I once wrote a disc in ImgBurn many years ago.  It sat around until I got to reusing it again.  ImgBurn then said it needed a full proper format, so it apparently hadn't been fully written to before by a past version of ImgBurn.  The requiring properly formatted discs maybe wasn't always present in the software?  Like maybe 15 years when it first came out and this disc was initially written?

Also, isn't a Windows format not really a format?  For instance, an unformatted disc in ImgBurn requires a zeroing out of all sectors initially before it can be written to.  I think with Windows you can just pop them in and it doesn't require a full format.  Which may be why ImgBurn said the discs weren't fully erased to.  I think I put in an unformatted DVD+RW and tried to use it as a giant floppy once.  Expecting a full zeroing as with ImgBurn, I remember being shocked at how quickly the giant floppy formatting was.  So, it seems Windows does not require full formats of optical media to be used?

Thank you all for your time in answering my inquiry,  especially the last 2 posts by LIGHTENING UK AND DBMINTER.   You both struck a bullseye with your responses. I tried your suggestion, and , BINGO, it worked.  Thank you so much. Stay well.  Rob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.