Verifying & Tray Cycling Problems

illini4life

I have had this problem happen at least thrice in the past two days: I have ImgBurn set to cycle the tray before the verification, which it almost always does. The problem with the two or three times to which I'm referring are that not only does ImgBurn not cycle the tray, but when the verification starts, it goes at a rate slower than 0.0x. I can see that it is verifying because the number of sectors slowly increases, but it never goes past 0.0x or 1% completed.

A full log from Imgburns' bottom window would help alot.

It just happened again, but this time the tray did cycle. Sorry for not posting it, but I didn't see anything interesting. It just won't verify at a speed higher than 0.1x. Also, I reverted back to 2.0 thinking that it was a problem with 2.1, but it's still happening.

I 11:58:44 ImgBurn Version 2.0.0.0 started!

I 11:58:44 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 11:58:44 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:58:44 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:58:44 Found 1 DVD?RW!

I 12:00:45 Operation Started!

I 12:00:45 Source File: ...

I 12:00:45 Source File Sectors: 2,285,865 (MODE1/2048)

I 12:00:45 Source File Size: 4,681,451,520 bytes

I 12:00:45 Source File Volume Identifier: ...

I 12:00:45 Source File Application Identifier: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR © 1993 E.YOUNGDALE © 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING

I 12:00:45 Source File Implementation Identifier: mkisofs

I 12:00:45 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 12:00:45 Destination Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N 0C35 (D:) (ATA)

I 12:00:45 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: AML-002-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x)

I 12:00:45 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104

I 12:00:45 Write Mode: DVD

I 12:00:45 Write Type: DAO

I 12:00:45 Write Speed: 2.4x

I 12:00:45 Link Size: Auto

I 12:00:45 Test Mode: No

I 12:00:45 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 12:00:46 Filling Buffer...

I 12:01:06 Writing LeadIn...

I 12:01:22 Writing Image...

I 12:24:47 Synchronising Cache...

I 12:24:51 Closing Track...

I 12:24:57 Finalising Disc...

I 12:25:26 Image MD5: 87d50c6c7cf4c764dcc5379f3369bcd0

I 12:25:29 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:24:41

I 12:25:29 Average Write Rate: 3,256 KB/s (2.4x) - Maximum Write Rate: 3,360 KB/s (2.4x)

I 12:25:31 Cycling Tray before Verify...

W 12:25:35 Waiting for device to become ready...

I 12:25:53 Device Ready!

I 12:25:54 Operation Started!

I 12:25:54 Source Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N 0C35 (D:) (ATA)

I 12:25:55 Source Media Type: DVD+RW (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: AML-002-00) (Speeds: 0.5x, 1.3x, 2x, 3.1x)

I 12:25:55 Image File: ...

I 12:25:55 Image File Sectors: 2,285,865 (MODE1/2048)

I 12:25:55 Image File Size: 4,681,451,520 bytes

I 12:25:55 Image File Volume Identifier: ...

I 12:25:55 Image File Application Identifier: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR © 1993 E.YOUNGDALE © 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING

I 12:25:55 Image File Implementation Identifier: mkisofs

I 12:25:55 Image File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 12:25:55 Read Speed: MAX

I 12:25:58 Verifying Sectors...

I 12:29:53 Abort Request Acknowledged

E 12:29:53 Failed to Verify Sectors!

E 12:29:53 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:03:58

I 12:29:53 Average Verify Rate: 70 KB/s (0.1x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 70 KB/s (0.1x)

(Disc ID: AML-002-00)

Sorry, junk disc materials...Do a Google on that MID if you don't believe me ;) ...Use only Verbatim DataLifePlus or Taiyo Yudens for a good burn on a consistent basis.

Your LG drive firmware is probably out of date. Is the drive in a notebook? If so go to their site and see if you can locate a more up-to-date firmware. :thumbup:

lol the drive is making a complete mess of trying to initialise that media.

I 12:25:54 Source Device: [1:0:0]HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N 0C35 (D:) (ATA)

I 12:25:55 Source Media Type: DVD+RW (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: AML-002-00) (Speeds: 0.5x, 1.3x, 2x, 3.1x)

Reported as DVD+RW ?! Erm yeah ok!

Nice speeds too.

As spinner said, try some Verbatim (MCC dye) or Taiyo Yuden discs.

this is garbage media like Spinner says ,what strange write speeds .5x 1.3,3.1

I'll try upgrading the drive's firmware if I can. I've burned hundreds of DVD's with these discs because they are the only one's that I've found work consistently well with my drive; maybe I just have a bad spindle but I doubt it. The burn speeds definitely are not those listed above. When things are working they are usually reported by ImgBurn to be something like 1x, 2x, 2.4x, and 4x, IIRC. It's also +R and not +RW, so that's also quite bizarre. In my last thread, you can see that I was having ImgBurn tell me that the disc needed reformatting, which should only happen on RW material, which this is not.

Exactly, that's my point.

Your drive is not initialising the disc properly and so is reporting utter nonsense to ImgBurn.

ImgBurn can only act on what it is told by the drive. So if the drive says it's a DVD+RW disc and it hasn't been formatted, ImgBurn will prompt you to format it.

Exactly, that's my point.

Your drive is not initialising the disc properly and so is reporting utter nonsense to ImgBurn.

ImgBurn can only act on what it is told by the drive. So if the drive says it's a DVD+RW disc and it hasn't been formatted, ImgBurn will prompt you to format it.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try updating my firmware and trying another spindle of these DVD's. If that doesn't help, I'll pick up some Verbatims, but I've tried those as well as many other DVD's that are supposed to be quality and had no luck. This problem surprised me because I've been using ImgBurn 2.1 for months, the same type of DVD's for a year, and haven't had any hardware or software changes. We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

I wouldn't waste your $$$ on another spindle of low class media.

Also, your drive may be on the way out. It's getting a bit long in the tooth. But LG make great drives and I have a 4081B that's still going strong.

Regards

Also, your drive may be on the way out. It's getting a bit long in the tooth. But LG make great drives and I have a 4081B that's still going strong.

Regards

How long do drives typically last? My laptop is only one year old, and I'd say I've burned about 1000 discs.

Regards

How long do drives typically last? My laptop is only one year old, and I'd say I've burned about 1000 discs.

Follow up: How can I tell if my drive is going bad? Any diagnostics? Also, is there a way to verify my burns against an image if the verification that follows a burn in ImgBurn fails? I know Nero has something to check if the disc sectors are good, but a) I don't have Nero B) I'm not sure if it's free and c) I want to also verify it against an image.

Thanks much!

Yes, you can make the ISO on your hard drive (build to ISO).

Write and verify that and delete it afterwards.

If it doesn't verify, you can go into verify mode and select the ISO to verify your burned disk against.

Checking the sectors are good and can be read is one thing. Verifying they are an exact replica of what you wanted to write onto them is another. Ner0 CD DVD Speed is free and has a sector scanning tool in it.

As for drives, 1,000 burns sounds like a few. It's impossible to tell how long they last for, for sure, but I reckon they should go further.

Regards

Follow up: How can I tell if my drive is going bad? Any diagnostics? Also, is there a way to verify my burns against an image if the verification that follows a burn in ImgBurn fails? I know Nero has something to check if the disc sectors are good, but a) I don't have Nero B) I'm not sure if it's free and c) I want to also verify it against an image.

Thanks much!

Sorry to be flooding the message board, but where could I look for a driver update? The info I've found on various websites says that since I have an OEM drive that came with my notebook, I have to go through the vendor. In this case, I have a Compaq Presario R4000, but the website only has a driver update for a different drive; I can't find firmware for mine anywhere.

try this open IB and right click on the burner in the destination box look at the last line "firmware update "click on it and follow the prompts

knocking around Google I found this

HL-DT-ST DVD RW GCA 4080N, just got the reagon free firmware for mine at http://forum.rpc1.org/

i got the compaq model, fimware 0c35 (which is OEM). belive me i was very surprised to see a firmware for this model, although it is in the beta section.

but it looks like yours is the latest

Hey illini4life where are you getting your discs from ? I would recommend a reputable online retailer that publishes the media ID of the discs your buying. As I am sure you know the name on the spindle (Sony, Memorex etc) means squat when compared to the media ID or the makers of the dye to put it another way.

Try and get Taiyo Yuden discs (TYG02 or TYG03) or Verbs with the (MCC) dye. :)

Hey illini4life where are you getting your discs from ? I would recommend a reputable online retailer that publishes the media ID of the discs your buying. As I am sure you know the name on the spindle (Sony, Memorex etc) means squat when compared to the media ID or the makers of the dye to put it another way.

Try and get Taiyo Yuden discs (TYG02 or TYG03) or Verbs with the (MCC) dye. :)

I get them from Circuit City. I know they're cheap, but like I said before, I've tried several different brands and these are the only ones that seem(ed) to work for me. I opened up another spindle of the same type of DVD+R's and haven't had any problems with ten burns.

I tried searching for something like "verbatim mcc" on Google, but wasn't too sure about any of the results. Could you recommend a good retailer?

Meritline

NewEgg

Both are good and have excelent special sales events. Make sure you pick the DataLifePlus if you're buying Verbs. ;)

A previous post mentioned making sure that the Verbatim's come from the MCC dye. When I search for verbatim dvd+r datalifeplus and get this page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817130950

I can't find anything about MCC or the dye. Are these different but just as good or are they the same thing?

Your posts seem to illustrate the classic and frustrating problems with cheap media - Patchy burns..... Some will be ok and others won't, if you use the links above you should be able to get A Grade media and hopefully avoid these problems.

Besides the discs (maybe it was just a dozen discs or so) from this one spindle, I've had at least a 95% success rate with these discs. I found the media ID (AML002) here under the 4th-class media section. The description on this site of these discs is:

Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate. These discs are pretty much only suited for preventing drink cup rings from forming on a table. Most of the time, these are ready-made coasters. If you can actually get a burner to acknowledge the disc, do not expect much. And if the burn actually succeeds, do not be surprised if a DVD-ROM or player chokes on the disc (read/play errors). Cheap prices, cheap junk quality.

Although I have had very good success with burning and watching these discs, I am concerned about how long the discs will last. I would estimate I have somewhere around or over 1000 discs burned on this media, so it would be expensive both in terms of time and money to copy these over to some quality media (these discs? I can't find anything about the media's ID on the site). Would it be worth it? I would be devastated to lose everything I've burned. How long could I expect the 4th-grade and 1st-grade media to last?

Thanks much!

DataLife Plus is their best branding. I use the +R so that I can booktype them to dvd-rom with my drives.

I can't believe what I noob I feel like given I've been working with this stuff for over a year, but every month I seem to find out something new and critical. What benefit does booktyping the discs to DVD-ROM give?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.