BDR-S12XLT vs BDR-212EBK - what's the difference?

kamild_

I'm looking for a new BD-R writer (just for regular backups on multi-layer Blu-Rays and occasionally M-Discs) and as far as specs go, I found two devices that seem to satisfy my requirements - Pioneer BDR-S12XLT and Pioneer BDR-212EBK.

But, looking at their specs on the Pioneer's website:

...they seem to have exact same specs, except for a different front face design. The former also mentions "PureRead4+" and "RealTime PureRead", which I'm not sure what these are about.

Is there any other difference about these? 

The only real "difference," most likely, is the S12XLT is the model that superceded the 212EBK.  Meaning, it's replaced the other model, but the 212EBK stock is still available.  Pioneer is known to do this: replace older models with newer ones that do the same thing while still offering stock of the older model.

However, I would recommend you forego any Pioneer BD burners.  Pioneer used to make the best BD burners out there.  Had one that lasted for 2 and a half years before it needed replacing, unparalleled in a world where, normally, optical drives need replacing every 7 months, on average.  Over the years, though, their quality has really turned into :horse:.  I recently tried a 212 that Pioneer had to ultimately refund my money on.  It died before 2 months!  :o  Plus, for years, the Pioneer BD firmware does not properly write to Ritek 8x DVD+RW and Pioneer refuses to do anything about it!  :rolleyes:

There are basically 3 manufacturers to choose from for BD burners: Pioneer, LG, and ASUS.  The one with the FEWEST issues is LG, IF you get the RIGHT LG BD burner.  The WH16NS60 is my recommendation.  It has no deal killers, just a few execution choices that make it a slower read and writer, in some cases, than the Pioneer.  However, slower reads and writes are better than catastrophic failures, which are in the Pioneer and ASUS models.  You may be tempted to get LG's WH16NS40 since it's cheaper.  If you don't plan on writing BD DL media, which the NS40 says it supports but does not properly write to, you can get that.  The NS60 supports the M-Disc you're looking for, and I think the NS40 did, too.

15 minutes ago, dbminter said:

However, I would recommend you forego any Pioneer BD burners. 

That's funny, the reason I was looking into Pioneer drives was because of your advice from 4 years ago... Did it really get this bad in the meantime?

Right now I have the BH16NS40 and it's been causing me trouble for a long time, I'm guessing WH16NS40 is a different one? If it does not properly write to BD DL media, then that's a major disadvantage in my case. I've looked up the WH16NS60, but I cannot find it for purchase anywhere in my country.

Edited by kamild_

Yes, things really did go downhill that fast for Pioneer.  The DVD+RW thing has been there probably longer than that, which was what initially drove me away from Pioneer.  One firmware update fixed the problem, but all future firmware updates regressed the issue back in.  About a year or so ago, I tried Pioneer again, since they had a new hardware model.  Thought I'd hope against hope that they'd fixed their issues.  Turns out, it was actually worse.

I think the only real difference between the LG BH and WH models is a case similar to the Pioneers you linked.  The WH16 simply replaced the BH models.  Both support M-Disc, BD XL, and both appear to have the same maximum write speeds.  The difference between the WH16NS40 and NS60 is the NS60 supports UHD.  That's why the NS40 is cheaper, but I recommend the NS60 over the NS40 because the NS40 fails 9 times out of 10 to write BD-R/RE DL media.

What country are you trying to find NS60's in?

Beyond the DVD+RW issue on the Pioneer 212 I last had, like I said, it died before 2 months had passed.  It stopped writing BD-R.

In the US, the NS60 could be found on Amazon.com and NewEgg.  That's where I've gotten mine before.

I can see the NS60 on Amazon, but the price for it is insane (965 PLN, which stands for about $245) and unfortunately, NewEgg does not offer their services here.

I've had another look at what my local shops offer, but outside of old LGs like mine, the BH16NS55 and a whole lot of ASUS and Pioneer drives, I don't see much more of a choice :( 

Well, the ASUS BD burners may be an option if you never intend to burn DVD+R DL.  I never got beyond testing the last ASUS BD burner I got for testing a few months ago after it failed to properly write to DVD+R DL.  BD-R was fine, but I only ever got around to testing DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R DL, and BD-R.  And the DVD+RW, while the ASUS drive had moved beyond the catastrophic failure of DESTROYING DVD+RW it used to do, I hadn't thoroughly tested the DVD+RW burn results.  Initial indications were it didn't write correctly as they had playback problems on the PS3.  But, I never got around to thoroughly vetting them yet when the catastrophic failure on DVD+R DL was a deal killer.  I told ASUS, but, of course, they don't listen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.