Create ISO from ISO with One File Removed

Jnew1213

I have a Windows bootable ISO (from Microsoft). I wish to remove a single file from that ISO and re-create the ISO. The ISO is a bootable image.

I've tried extracting the original ISO, deleting the file and rebuilding the ISO, but it won't boot. I am not certain which of the files needs to be set as the bootable file and any other parameters that need to be appropriately set. Please assist me.

Honestly, I never had any luck making any bootable discs using the guides or doing what the OP is attempting.  What I do in a situation like this is use something that can inject or remove files from an ISO, like UltraISO, my choice.  Then, I use ImgBurn to write the ISO UltraISO makes.  UltraISO, however, is not freeware.

I found the guide. Not sure how I missed it last night when was looking.

I followed the easy directions to a T other than selecting ISO as output. Unfortunately, the ISO doesn't seem to be bootable. At least the VMware (ESXi) Remote Console is unable to boot a new VM from it.

Edited by Jnew1213

As I said, I followed the guides a long time ago and never could get a bootable Windows disc.  The ISO's when burnt to optical discs would never boot.  Tried to get the same with Acronis True Image bootable discs.  Attempting to build new discs never worked, which is why I resorted to UltraISO to inject/remove new files into bootable disc ISO's.  I'd use ImgBurn to read the bootable discs to ISO and then UltraISO to edit the ISO's and ImgBurn to then, again, burn the UltraISO ISO's. to disc.

As far as I am aware, Windows 11 requires UEFI boot. The VM is configured for UEFI. That's actually the default these days.

Regarding UltraISO, it looks like it makes it easy to just delete a file from an ISO and save the ISO back, but the trial has a limit of 300MB, so I can't verify that it actually works. I am on the fence for the $20. I might never use it again except for this one time.

It's up to the user.  You get lifetime, as far as I'm aware, upgrades for $20, but if you never use the software again, it can be pretty hard to justify the $20 for a one time use.  I use it every time an update to Macrium Reflect comes out, as well as at the start of each new year when I move the monthly file backups to bootable Reflect recovery media with the image files on them.  So, for me it was worth it.

Haven't read or created a disc in years. Tossed out my unopened DVD writables a few months ago. Probably too old to be useful, even if I needed them.

Backup is to a pair of Synology NASes (full backup --10.1TB -- every six hours) and to CrashPlan and Google Drive (in near-real time).

2 hours ago, Jnew1213 said:

As far as I am aware, Windows 11 requires UEFI boot. The VM is configured for UEFI. That's actually the default these days.

Regarding UltraISO, it looks like it makes it easy to just delete a file from an ISO and save the ISO back, but the trial has a limit of 300MB, so I can't verify that it actually works. I am on the fence for the $20. I might never use it again except for this one time.

The reason I asked is that those guides predate uefi (mainstream at least) and are meant for bios boot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.