CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 3

Necis Orcus

i get the following error code on vm boot using a powershell script "CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 3"

my current powershell command for creationg the .iso file is as follows:

($newN is a varible made in the script that choses its name based on input | Error continues with preset names)

& 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe' /MODE BUILD /SRC "C:\ISO\Source\" /BUILDOUTPUTMODE IMAGEFILE /DEST "C:\ISO\.iso\$newN" /VOLUMELABEL $newN /START /CLOSE /NOIMAGEDETAILS /ROOTFOLDER YES /PRESERVEFULLPATHNAMES NO /OVERWRITE YES /BUILDINPUTMODE STANDARD /BOOTEMUTYPE 0 /BOOTIMAGE C:\ISO\Source\boot\etfsboot.com /BOOTSECTORSTOLOAD 8

Please ask away for any information needed or wanted. \:)

Edited by Necis Orcus

1 minute ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

Google doesn't throw up a whole lot when searching for that error.

Is your vm in UEFI or legacy bios mode?

I assume that if you follow the OS installation disc guide in the Guides forum and actually do it via the GUI, you get the same result?

google was useless for me too and my hyper-v vm is running UEFI.

i found out the correct command was as follows:

& 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe' /MODE BUILD /BUILDOUTPUTMODE IMAGEFILE /SRC "C:\ISO\Source\" /DEST "C:\ISO\.iso\test121" /VOLUMELABEL "test121" /VOLUMELABEL_UDF "test121" /START /CLOSE /NOIMAGEDETAILS /ROOTFOLDER YES /PRESERVEFULLPATHNAMES NO /OVERWRITE YES /BUILDINPUTMODE STANDARD /BOOTEMUTYPE 0 /BOOTIMAGE C:\ISO\Source\boot\etfsboot.com /BOOTDEVELOPERID "Microsoft Corporation" /BOOTLOADSEGMENT 07C0 /BOOTSECTORSTOLOAD 8 /FILESYSTEM "UDF" 

Never seen "CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 3" before only 5, 4 and 1

Thank you for the quick reply, if you want any information on the automation script or the use of your product feel free to ask.

kind regards Necis Orcus

Ok, maybe it was the load segment value was throwing it off before.

Most other bits get noticed and corrected by the program when it detects you want to build an OS installation disc.

As you're using etfsboot.com, it doesn't look like you're building a UEFI bootable disc, it looks like a legacy bios one.

This is the same issue covered a couple of days ago in this thread... 

But if it boots for you, I guess it's all good and your VM has handled it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.