ImgBurn vs Nero + Alcohol 120%

shk

Nero is a noobie tool. It packages everything into a simplistic, bloated tool.

Nero StartSmart is certainly simplistic and a little bloated, but I would not accuse Nero Burning Rom v6 of either of those faults.

As for burn results, that's down to your media and your drive.

You are making assumptions. I'm sure the coaster I referred to was not due to due media problems, but due to some formatting error on the disc (an incorrectly placed layer break, perhaps).

The positioning of the layer break is not the cause of write failures, it's a potential cause of playback problems if you were burning a DVD Video disc.

Write errors etc are always due to some glitch between the drive / firmware / media combo. All a software tool can do is 'retry' on error, the rest is out of its control.

The positioning of the layer break is not the cause of write failures, it's a potential cause of playback problems if you were burning a DVD Video disc.

Write errors etc are always due to some glitch between the drive / firmware / media combo. All a software tool can do is 'retry' on error, the rest is out of its control.

Yes, the reason I don't think the problem with that particular disc was due to the media is that the disc burnt and verified fine. It also plays fine on a PC and a cheap divx compatible player, but all name brand 'proper' DVD players I've tried it on refuse to load it.

It seems more like a problem with the data/layout, though I'm not expert enough to say what that fault is likely to be. It might not be Nero's fault - I ran it through Vobblanker, maybe that could have messed it up?

Edit: LIGHTNING UK, perhaps you are the only person that can answer the main question of this thread, i.e. are there any functionality advantages to using ImgBurn instead of Nero? As I said, I plan to use ImgBurn, but I'd still like to know. I am particularly interested in the behaviour with DL discs, since I never have any problems with single layer ones.

Edited by shade42

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=32093

That disc you mean?!

No it didn't burn fine, it failed to finalise it.

A PC drive (well, a burner at least) doesn't care if the disc isn't finalised. It should always be a case of, if it can create it, it can read it - and PC burners can create unfinalised discs. The verify checks the actual data is correct, not that the disc has been finalised properly.

Cheapo players play everything because they're designed that way. Maximum features, minimum cost - and without too much regard for any 'specs' that players are supposed to follow.

Decent players (often with far less features) do things properly and expect things to be 'just right'. A 'just right' disc will always be finalised and that's probably why it won't play yours.

Nero StartSmart is certainly simplistic and a little bloated, but I would not accuse Nero Burning Rom v6 of either of those faults.

You can't be serious. Nero StartSmart is a basic GUI for loading other Nero tools. It isn't a program itself. It has no other function but to send given tasks to given tools. Nero itself is still bloated.

You are making assumptions. I'm sure the coaster I referred to was not due to due media problems, but due to some formatting error on the disc (an incorrectly placed layer break, perhaps).

On the contrary, I don't assume anything. Read/write errors are always down to your hardware. Media, drives or whatever. If you can kick it, that's where the problem is. Your drive doesn't care where it puts the layer break as long as the total amount of data on the second layer never exceeds the amount on the first layer for playback reasons.

For what it's worth, your problem is still either that particular disk (even Verbatim make the occasional dud) or your drive, regardless of how much you wish to argue about it.

ImgBurn gives a choice of position for the layer break on double layer discs and Nero doesn't, but I will probably always choose the position that's given the best score, so that isn't necessarily an advantage.

Maybe not to you, but many people use this feature, so it is an advantage.

It seems more like a problem with the data/layout, though I'm not expert enough to say what that fault is likely to be. It might not be Nero's fault - I ran it through Vobblanker, maybe that could have messed it up?
The drive or the software couldn't give a rats arse what was in the image or how it was layed out (from a burning point of view) it's not that clever, so what shamus said is spot on.

your problem is still either that particular disk (even Verbatim make the occasional dud) or your drive, regardless of how much you wish to argue about it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.