Peculiar Buffer Underrun Problem

madoka

During burning sessions, I expect the burner's LED to be on constantly, but sometimes it'll blink which suggests that it had to stop burning due to buffer underrun. I've increased the memory buffer to the maximum allowed, increased the device buffer refill threshold, and increased ImgBurn's thread priority, but to no avail. The ImgBurn log shows no anomaly, however, and disc verification always passes.

After experimenting, it appears that moderate disk access (such as loading an application) will reliably trigger this. Moreover, the device buffer indicator do drop to dangerously low levels when it happens (which suggest that the buffer did empty momentarily). This doesn't make much sense: memory buffers should protected against this type of buffer underrun. Yet, it seems that ImgBurn couldn't fill the device buffer quickly enough.

My computer is basically brand new, so I don't think CPU's the bottleneck. My burner's Pioneer DVR-111D.

Am I just paranoid? :wacko:

Edited by madoka

It could be something else on the bus that's stopping data from getting to the drive - especially if the pioneer is the slave device.

Burn something and look at the write speed graph data via DVDInfoPro. Perhaps post up a screenshot or something so we can look too. Post the normal log too while you're at it please.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.