Virus killers

Shamus_McFartfinger

Bloody hell. I've been using AVG for years and have always been happy with it. Never a problem until a few days ago. It started playing up on 2 of my machines so I went looking for an alternative and ended up installing BitDefender. It would seem (from the snapshot below) that AVG isn't as good as I thought it was.

virussnap.jpg

Fooking hell ! :o I recently went over to the new Zonealarm Pro with Anti-Virus from NAV2005 and that found a couple of low threat items that NAV had missed.... Not as many as yours tho.....

BTW Shamus - where is your new AV from ? My son has Liberty City Stories for the SONY PSP and the hidden packages look just like your new avatar......

Fooking hell ! :o I recently went over to the new Zonealarm Pro with Anti-Virus from NAV2005 and that found a couple of low threat items that NAV had missed.... Not as many as yours tho.....

What's scary is that I also used Trend Micro's online scanner (HouseCall). It missed them as well. I'm very impressed with BitDefender so far.

BTW Shamus - where is your new AV from ? My son has Liberty City Stories for the SONY PSP and the hidden packages look just like your new avatar......

Honestly? No idea. :D It's just something I found........ somewhere.............. while doing......... something. =))

Unfortunately, the sad fact is AV scanners, like spyware scanners, will all miss something another finds. It's because there is no standardization over what is defined as a virus/spyware/etc. Each of the companies, of course, wants you to use their software over another. So, each uses their own "houses" to define their AV definitions that get sent to your software to tell what is a virus and what isn't. In some cases, nearly total non-threats are marked as viruses, etc. to appear that they are "better" than the competition by simple superior numbers. And, of course, there are those who just don't know what the fuck they're doing, like Symantec. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Just ran BitDefender on my PC, and apart from some bits of Java things, I'm quite happy to report AVG and ZoneAlarm Security suit seem to be doing the job.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.