verify funcition not works with directory

totya

Hi all..

One folder name length is 68 character, target is dvd disc, write mode iso9660+joilet (default settings)

Burn OK, Verify OK, but manual compare with total commander result is BAD.

Why? Joilet default mode only 64 character supported. Directory name on the dvd is cropped.

This is normal, but the verify funtcion not cheking this? I think the verify only files, not directiories.

Recommended repair this funcition...

ps.:Sorry my poor english

Why would you class it as a verification failure?!

The spec only allows for 64 characters so that's what it builds the ISO using.

Verify is to compare what's supposed to have been written against the actual data on the cd/dvd. It's not to compare it to the original file names on the hdd as they're often expected to change - especially if say you use just ISO9660 where you're limited to 8.3 style of naming.

Why would you class it as a verification failure?!

The spec only allows for 64 characters so that's what it builds the ISO using.

Verify is to compare what's supposed to have been written against the actual data on the cd/dvd. It's not to compare it to the original file names on the hdd as they're often expected to change - especially if say you use just ISO9660 where you're limited to 8.3 style of naming.

Hi!

Possible file system with IMGBurn :

1 ISO9660

2 ISO9660+Joilet

3 ISO9660+Joilet+UDF

4 ISO9660+UDF

5 UDF

The default is second. OK, I'm use this. Joilet supported 64 characters (Joilet Level 1)

If I burn files and directories to CD/DVD, I want, copied be equal with original. I think every men want this.

Problem 1 : before write processing started, ImgBurn don't cheking directory character length -> result is cropped length directories (see may last message, directory cropped 68->64 character...last few character is missing). Result disc is bad. Unusable. Wrong.

Problem2 : verify process don't check this problem (!). Result is bad, but the verify process is say : OK! I think, the hdd data equally with writed disc data (!)...but this is bad information.

ps.: i know, joilet level 2 know more characters, but the problem is unusable verify processing, which not return with correct information (..and joilet level 1 is default settings).

Short : directory name and file name checking is important!

Thank you.

Truncating the file names is not (and should not) in any way, shape or form be considered an error. It's just part of what building an ISO is all about.

It's unfortunate that whatever you're burning relies on long file names that break the spec for normal CD/DVD burning using ISO9660 and Joliet filesystems but that really isn't ImgBurn's problem and again, it's NOT something that verifying should/would pick up on.

If you want to be notified of names being truncated etc, go into the settings and on the 'Build' tab, find the 'Logging' box and check the 'Non Compliant Folder / File Names' box.

Truncating the file names is not (and should not) in any way, shape or form be considered an error. It's just part of what building an ISO is all about.

It's unfortunate that whatever you're burning relies on long file names that break the spec for normal CD/DVD burning using ISO9660 and Joliet filesystems but that really isn't ImgBurn's problem and again, it's NOT something that verifying should/would pick up on.

If you want to be notified of names being truncated etc, go into the settings and on the 'Build' tab, find the 'Logging' box and check the 'Non Compliant Folder / File Names' box.

Thank you, (I found this checkbox) but I think I know, this is big problem with ImgBurn.

Result writed discs possible unusable. Bad. Etc.

Suggest :

1. File name checking correctly before burn

2. Directory name checking correctly before burn

if settings / builds / logging doing this (solved this), then why default unchecked?

You want many bad writed discs? Or why?

3. File name checking correctly after burn

4. Directory name checking correctly after burn

Correct checking = file byte compare + file and directory name. This is sure.

5. Joilet Level 1 is default, suggested Level2 (x).

Thank you.

big problem with ImgBurn

No.......I disagree..........This may be a big problem for you because of your need to use long file names, but I do not see it as a problem for ImgBurn or the 10's of thousands of other users..... ;)

This is problem, sorry. I'm not beginner, and i'm programming too... I'm not stupid user.

Your answer is not help of many users.

I think you're confusing ImgBurn with a 'Backup' tool.

Buiding an ISO from some files doesn't mean those files will keep the exact same name.

Each file system has its limitations and those should be realised before ever burning anything.

If you decide to build an ISO using only the ISO9660 filesystem, you should know that all the file names will be converted to 8.3 format. That's just how it works and all programs are the same.

It's not the job of the verify function to compare filenames against those on the hdd. It compares what was written with what should have been written, data wise, nothing more. The program expects/knows (and the user SHOULD expect/know) they will be different so why show it as a failure?

Logging was disabled by default because nobody sticks to 8.3 format for names on their hdd and nobody wants 20,000 log entries when they build a disc as the program converts all the filenames to 8.3 format.

As I said before, it's not my fault that whatever you're trying to create an image from breaks Joliet specs for filename lengths. If it was on a disc in the first place, that was naughty of whoever made it. Now you've seen first hand what happens, learn from it.

For people that just want to stick some random files on a disc, a slight truncation of names is no big deal - and again, people who've ever burnt discs before with long file names will have probably already seen that they get truncated and know it's going to happen before it actually happens.

I've improved the 'non compliant folder/file names' logging option to let you specify which file systems to show the warnings for.

So it's now enabled by default, only showing warnings from the Joliet and UDF file systems.

big problem with ImgBurn

No.......I disagree..........This may be a big problem for you because of your need to use long file names, but I do not see it as a problem for ImgBurn or the 10's of thousands of other users..... ;)

This is problem, sorry. I'm not beginner, and i'm programming too... I'm not stupid user.

Your answer is not help of many users.

I disagree, this "problem" is only really one for you, and spinners answer is more helpful than your insistence on calling it an ImgBurn problem :/

Thank you - for your answer.

Your message is OnTopic, thank you (few last user message is not...)

I think you're confusing ImgBurn with a 'Backup' tool.

This is very good and simple application, I like it, and use this. Backup tool? Yes, too :) Quick, stable and free.

If you decide to build an ISO using only the ISO9660 filesystem, you should know that all the file names will be converted to 8.3 format. That's just how it works and all programs are the same....Logging was disabled by default because nobody sticks to 8.3 format for names on their hdd and nobody wants 20,000 log entries when they build a disc as the program converts all the filenames to 8.3 format.
Possible, but not too frequent usage this. Who use really iso9660 filesystem? Minimum joilet (iso9660&joilet), or UDF.

I think, who want use really iso9660, this user know, 8.3 character is limit...

"Simple" user uses default settings->joilet.

Possible, my request (error present...) is not clear, my request pertain to is only joilet filesystem (sorry).

"20,000 log entries" this is true, but possible "counter"... But this is not log format, is static format on application form (label).

Example :

checking ISO filesystem <checkbox> error count <label>

checking Joilet filesystem <checkbox> error count <label>

checking UDF filesystem <checkbox> error count <label>

If error count > 0 then error count label color "be" red ;)

These checking works before disc write and after disc write...

These examples only idea and examples, not request.

For people that just want to stick some random files on a disc, a slight truncation of names is no big deal - and again, people who've ever burnt discs before with long file names will have probably already seen that they get truncated and know it's going to happen before it actually happens.
You thinking and my thinking is big different, I think file name checking funcion of cd burner application, not user function.
I've improved the 'non compliant folder/file names' logging option to let you specify which file systems to show the warnings for.

So it's now enabled by default, only showing warnings from the Joliet and UDF file systems.

Thank you, good idea.

ps.: nero say before writing discs is file/directory name is too length - my request is not extra request.

Possible topic status change to closed.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Who use really iso9660 filesystem? Minimum joilet (iso9660&joilet), or UDF.

I think, who want use really iso9660, this user know, 8.3 character is limit...

"Simple" user uses default settings->joilet.

Please educate yourself before posting nonsense! The default filesystem selection in ImgBurn is ISO9660 + UDF! Now the thing that you have done, is to go change the settings from their default state(ISO9660 + UDF to ISO9660 + Joliet), without having a clue about what the effects of those changes being and then if that's not enough, then you have the nerve to go fill a bug report to the author and still after being politely explained by the author what you did wrong, then you still claim that it's an ImgBurn error :rolleyes: Granted, in your last post you admit that it's not an ImgBurn error, but a fault of Joliet, but as noted above, then this is simply not the case either, and the fault is entirely yourselfs, period.

Users of ImgBurn are supposed to know what they are doing, and if they don't, then there are plenty of other apps which hold the users hand under the entire process. Also ImgBurn even has an option for "holding your hand" as related to this issue as LUK! said previously.

Edit: Ups, sorry guys - I totally forgot to look at the date of the last post in this thread before replying and hence, missed the fact that it was allready 9 days old and the thread probably considered ended allready :&#39;( Again, sorry about that :)

Edited by Martin H

Yeah, that is very good advice IMHO :) I personally dosen't even bother making ISO9660+UDF bridges when writing data backups to DVD+Rs and just only use UDF by itself, since as you said, UDF is indeed very well supported on the different popular OSes like e.g. from Windows 98 and up(UDF v1.02), Gnu/Linux and Mac OS X.

CU, Martin.

big problem with ImgBurn

Long file names? Did someone say something about long file names? :devil: How about... long label fields? :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.