Navteq Disc backup burn is not identical????

ranger3484

I've searched previous forum posts and learned a lot as a result. I having problems backing up a Navteq Nav System DVD. I've burnt two, both coasters. First was a normal burn with DVD+R book type. The second was to a DVD-ROM book type. Both times the verification came back as good. Obvisously the discs are not "identical" or it would work. ImgBurn provides some information about the source DVD but is there a program that will tell me absolutely everything about what's on my Navteq disc(ie. original media used, whether it was burned via OTP or PTP, and anything else)? Sounds like other people might be having problems backing up Nav discs since they may have been burnt via PTP. It's my understanding that ImgBurn will only burn via OTP and that there is no burning software that will burn to PTP. If the Navteq DVD was burnt via PTP how would I know?

and that there is no burning software that will burn to PTP

you can't get discs to burn to, so no is the answer here.

all dual layer media is otp

The OTP vs. PTP suggestion was just that. I really don't know if my Navteq DVD was burned in PTP. That's what I'd like to find out. If all DL discs are burned via OTP I would assume that Navteq burnt the original DVD via OTP...correct??

no , because it seems some/most dual layer nav discs are PTP, and you cant get ptp burnable media .

try putting the original disc in your dvd drive and see if imgburn will tell you if it is ptp, it may look like this

BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 4.133.424

Size: 8.465.252.352 bytes

Time: 918:34:24 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Sounds like you're on to something. Below is what is shown with my Navteq DVD in the drive. Under the Last Recorded portion it shows PTP under track path. I guess this means that ImgBurn burnt via PTP but I'm assuming that my media didn't actually accept it as such. Is there a plan for media to become available that does allow ImgBurn to burn via PTP on DL discs? The media is obvisouly out there...

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D SB02 (USB)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 3,601,792

Size: 7,376,470,016 bytes

Time: 800:25:67 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 1,998,527

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 1,801,920 (50.03%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 1,799,872 (49.97%)

there is no media that we can burn to that is ptp

ptp discs are pressed , like your original , only manufacturers can press these.

i have no idea if there are plans to release ptp burnable media , but if it becomes available , you can be sure support will be added

One last question on the topic then I'll drop it for good. Not that it makes any difference since I can't do anything about it anyway, but you said that my Navteq DVD was pressed to PTP format. What exactly does this mean. It sounds like they write each layer seperately then physically press them together. Is that correct or do they simply have the media available for PTP writing? Maybe it's more complicated that it sounds but shouldn't somebody be able to develope a program that will burn the 1st layer from inside out, the burn the second layer outside in (OTP) but write this second layer backwards thus yeilding a PTP written in OTP. My knowlege of the subject is limited so maybe this isn't a viable answer either.

It is the phisical format of the disc that is differrent, no software can fix this, it's a bit like trying to burn an +R format with a drive that supports only -R format.

Again no software can fix this, it's all hardware related. Drive / disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.