Error Updating DVR-108 Firware

necrocracker

I'm attempting to update the firmware on a Pioneer DVR-108 from 1.10 to 1.20b and keep receiving the error:

"Failed to move to the kernel mode"

Any way to get around this?

This machine is running NT4.0 SP6 and is as up to date as can be. The drive works fine as is, so I may just leave it alone if nobody has any ideas. I was just hoping to maybe get faster burns.

Thanks!

I primarily use ImgBurn for DL burns. With the current firmware and Verbatim +DL discs I can burn at 2.4x and 4x. I would like to get to 6x if possible with this drive. I never burn anything on any drive faster than 8x.

I've used this update on other systems with no problems. I just don't really know what that error means or how to fix it.

Thanks for any advice!

I flashed to the official Pioneer 1.20b firmware without any problems, using DVRFlash. The latest version 2.2 is available from here

I've since however downgraded/crossflashed with version 1.18 of the Piodata firmware so that I could get bitsetting on my +R's. Not sure which firmware revision the DL speed increase went above x4 though, so the Piodata is possibly not appropriate for you.

Edited by zacoz

The Verb DL's are rated at 2.4x and although they report as much as 8x with some drives/firmeware the more you push them I got to believe that the possibility of bad burns /verifys goes up too, the difference between a 4x burn and a 6 is what a minute or 2 no big deal

It,s probs cos you got an oem version 108 and not the dvr 108

Did it come boxed, NO should mean its pioneer 108.

Boxed should mean DVR 108

If you do have boxed version, make sure you got the DVR 108 firmware and not the 108

If it is OEM you will need 108 firmware and not DVR 108 firmware.

EDIT ignore above , it's that long since i updated my pioneers, Your ok to use either dvr 108 or a08 firmware, My confusion arises from the fact i own lots of them including the XLB versions of 107 108 etc this firmware is not interchangeable without hacking.

So if you also own the XLB versions you need that firmware and not standard dvr 108 or A08 firmware

Edited by dontasciime

The drive info from the top right window would help alot. It looks something like this:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109 1.58 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,298,496

Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes

Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: MCC 02RG20

Recording Management Area Information:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-R

Part Version: 5

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

The drive info from the top right window would help alot.

Here it is!

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.10

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 4,173,824

Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes

Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x

DVD?R DL Boundary Information:

L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,086,912

Changeable: Yes

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: MKM-001-00

Book Type: DVD+R DL

Part Version: 1

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: MKM-001-00

Book Type: DVD+R DL

Part Version: 1

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

I've updated many of my other drives including 108's and 109's with no issues. This one is just giving me problems for some reason.

This is not an OEM drive as far as I know. This system was built here and the drive was added later.

I will try DVR-Flash and see if that gives me any better results.

Continued thanks!

I will try DVR-Flash and see if that gives me any better results.

So DVR-Flash gave me the same results.

Switching drive to Kernel mode:

Key failure. Trying Universal key.

Could not set Kernel mode (Sense: 04 08 01)

I'm not sure what that means, but I think it's laughing at me now.

I don't even care about the speed increase anymore, it's now personal! I'm not going to let this drive beat me. Actually, I'll probably obsess about it for a day or two, then once something more interesting comes along I'll forget all about it. Stupid short attention span.... OOOO shiny lights!

The file I downloaded from the pioneerelectronics site is named: 256249518DVR108_FW120B.zip

It came from: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/i...R108_FW120B.zip

To make this even more interesting, I just tried this on an almost duplicate PC, DVR108 FW1.14 and got the same issue. Maybe it's an NT thing? Possibly IDE? I can update my DVR109 drives on Win2k connected via Firewire with no problems.

I thank you all again. I think I'm about as far as I'm going to go with this.

Dad always said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

dontasciime,

I have the 108/A08 version below. The whole tray with door opens. This is NOT firewire. Sorry to confuse the issue, I was just mentioning I had other drives on another system connected differently without problems. This is via IDE on a NT4.0 system. Very old, but stable and a real workhorse.

I appreciate all the extra effort posting the pics just to make sure.

:P I know the feeling of not wanting the PC to beat you !!

I know you are past this now but I personally would not burn DL media at 6x, you see various errors in the forum here on Verb DVD+R DL media that seem to be linked to burns at the higher speeds. IMHO 2.4x and leaving the drive to get on with it work best ! :)

I understand the reason for burning at lower speeds for lower error, higher quality burns, but when you have a client waiting for four test copies of a full DL disc, sometimes a little extra speed helps. Besides, the quality of burns I get from ImgBurn are so much higher than from other burning programs, I can burn faster and still end up with great discs :thumbup:

The discs I burn aren't for long term storage, but just an approval step before going to DLT for replication. Most of them are discarded within a month or two. Seems like a waste, but that's the way the business works. >_<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.