TORNADO?!

dbminter

Hey, I just heard a tornado, of all things, went through London recently?! :o

Did that happen? I would guess they are rare there, as I can't think of ever having heard of a British tornado before.

Having seen one coming right down my street, they are quite an impressive and somewhat frightening sight. I hope no one was hurt. :unsure:

I've seen worse right here in kentucky

spring time here just scares the crap out of me >_<

and summer is hot and dry, fall just scares the hot hell summer out of me and then I'm ready for snow, but not this year :|

I want the summer back :wub:

http://www.wbko.com/weather/gallery

I'll never forget the demolished house at the end of the road. The tornado came down the street, left two houses around this one house untouched, DESTROYED the one in the middle, tore apart all the materials for replacing power lines that were kept at the local utility depot also in the tornado's path... then just turned around shortly before hitting my house.

And I will never forget looking into that thing, the windows rattling. It had woken me up because I was sleeping from having performed 3rd shift work. And that swirling black mass of clouds, water, and assorted debris. Stuff you can't make out, but, you know there are tree limbs and the like in there somewhere.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pah/storm/Owb_tor/jan3stm.php

Check out the Owensboro tornado.

http://www.daviessky.org/departments/ema/photo_library.htm

Dam water maples will do it everytime, we still have about 20 left for next years storms.

But the storms are going to have a surprise when they come back around my place :thumbup:

Having some of the water maples, and two big white oaks took out in the spring.

db I had no idea you were in Paducah? Daymar college is where I teach we just opened a learning center there and have a campus in Owensboro :thumbup:

I's ain't in Paduke. :lol: Seriously, I'm in Owensboro. Have been there, though, just before the shooting that took place there before, I think, Columbine made them fashionable.

Not entirely sure that's a water maple. There's little water here for it to take from, save the rain. :)

I forget if Daymar is the college across the road in front of my house or not. I know there's one over that hedge that separates the roads there.

The Tornado was popular on the news cos they are quite rare here altho Birmingham saw quite a big one a few years back and you get the occasional news reports on them. Most like this one last less than a minute, blow really hard, take your house and your possesions and then disappear again.....

A bit like a marriage really !! :D

I get confused with the US versions are they not Hurricanes ? In fact I am not sure what the difference is. I do recall a summer holiday one year when playing in freshly cut corn field. We all sat and watched a mini tornado twist around the field lifting the leftover crops for a minute or so.

Oh, great! You mean in Australia, cyclones are something else? :lol: Here in the States, people think there's a difference between tornadoes and cyclones. The only difference is depends on the dialect. ;) That, basically, those from Texas and the area surrounding only use cyclone when they mean tornado. Now, technically, tornado is the incorrect word as, meteorlogically, cyclone is the correct term across the board. Even a hurricane is technically what is called a mesocyclone. But, here in the States, people, too, believe there is no difference between a tornado and a hurricane. A hurricane/typhoon is just a cyclone that occurs over water and is powered by the energies in them. So, basically, tornadoes are cyclones, by definition, and that hurricanes and typhoons are also cyclones, but the difference is they occur over water only and are technically to be called mesocyclones. If they occur in the air or on solid ground, they're just plain cyclones.

And, that's our daily lesson from Bill Nye, The Science Guy! :D

There's no doubt that the USA has the most destructive tornados but they don't have as many as the UK.......... or so I read.

I'd NEVER heard of one before. Which was why it struck me as so shocking when I read it on the news. I thought it was mostly too cold in the area to do anything but rain. :lol:

I will admit something. I've rarely been scared in my life, but, for a brief moment, when staring into a twirling example of Mother Nature's destructive power, I briefly panicked for all of like 10 seconds because I became enawed and then jealous I could never possess such fantastic raw energies at my command. :devil:

During the 70's and 80's I lived in the Western part of the county and watched two dofferent ones cut through a corn field about 1000 yards from my front porch. The first one was disturbing in the damage that it did when it hit the next town along the line was devastating. The second one came through ...as I was enjoying a few beers ...while running a backhoe in my front yard and I remember that I held up my bottle as a toast to mother nature as I watched the corn stalks and other stuff being thrown around the field. I guess we were just lucky as there was a slight drop in the elevation between where I lived and where both of the tornadoes ripped up the fields. They seemed to follow the depression in the landscape and slammed the hell out of the next town.

The second one came through ...as I was enjoying a few beers ...while running a backhoe in my front yard and I remember that I held up my bottle as a toast to mother nature as I watched the corn stalks and other stuff being thrown around the field.

Oh, now, that's just too corny!

db I had no idea you were in Paducah? Daymar college is where I teach we just opened a learning center there and have a campus in Owensboro :thumbup:

OMG! I just now did the research. 1.) That IS the Daymar college right across the highway divider in front of my house! 2.) That Daymar was where my mother tried for a secretarial job just two weeks ago! :o

OMG! I just now did the research. 1.) That IS the Daymar college right across the highway divider in front of my house! 2.) That Daymar was where my mother tried for a secretarial job just two weeks ago! :o

WOW! Talk about a small world, thats too small.

I never do get up that way but alot of the instructors that teach here also teach at that campus also.

Maybe sometime I'll ride up with someone db, we go for a few cold ones :thumbup:

Oh, now, that's just too corny!

As I was reading this I realized how really screwed up I was at the time. Anyone sober would have run away like I did the first time....but I was fascinated and just drunk enough to not really care and could have been in a world of hurt I guess..... >_<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.