Writable Media by Drive Type and Invalid Address

stickbuilt

No, I think we flogged this thing to death, it's cheaper to buy a new drive and save all the frustration, this drive clearly does not want to burn DL media, even the best of them, time to give up.

Kev, well done with all the research and suggestions, pitty it didn't come to fruition.

Death to HP! I had my experiences with the ancient 100I, when they offered +RW burning available as a firmware upgrade... then conveniently removed all reference to it from their site. And, admitted the 100i never could burn +RW because of its hardware. So, they had to offer replacement drives... but still stuck it to the consumer by including utilities that people could NOT choose not to get. Which meant charging the customer $99 to line their pockets, er, for the "licensing" :rolleyes: of the software included. :greedy:

Didn't get a chance to pick up any more verbatims today... BUT... I did discover an interesting fact about the HP drive. According to the specs on HP website, you require 18 Gb of free space on your harddrive in order to burn a DL. It just so happens I still have backup data for another harddrive on this one that had left me with less than half that available. (of course, it doesn't help that Microsoft OS & Office SUCK half the drives resources away). The lack of storage may be why the burn to the Ricoh broke at 50%. just a guess.... but once I transfer some data off the drive, I'm going to attempt the Ricoh burn one more time... If that doesn't work, it'll be appointed as a home video and data burner on my second computer.

It's probably not the free disc space. Those listings for DVD burning are the maximum, worst case scenario. Meaning, if you were making a full DVD+R DL, what it would first do, maybe, is copy all ~9 GB of the target discs's data to the program's temporary directory. Then, it would create the image from those files, effectively, doubling the space to, roughly, ~18 GB, 2 x 9. And, if you didn't have the required free space in a case like this, the burner application wouldn't functioning. Meaning, it would tell you it can't operate due to lack of necessary free space. Unless it's terribly written, which is typical HP. :lol:

stickbuilt;

After reading everything here I have to agree. Get rid of the drive! There are a number of good drives that you won't have a problem with. I personally am using Plextor 760A drives and I've not had any problems.

Btw...stay with Verbatim discs.

Good luck.

Okay... I'm convinced. has anyone out there had success burning a RICOHJPN-D00-01 with this Plextor 760A burner? I did find it for $58 after a rebate. The only reason I ask is because I had previously mail ordered a 50 pack of these (minus the 7 coasters..) I'd really not rather throw these out. I see a BENQ drive will burn them.

Of course, I will enlighten HP as to my opinion of their magnificent drive... huh... where's the smiley that's getting something shoved up his a$$....

anyway... off to what I really enjoy.... :piano:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts... it's been a treat....

Hey Liberachie, don't forget to post back about that new burner and how you're making out...... :unsure:

HA! he was an odd duck, but could he ever play! Well, with Kenadjian's comment, I think I'm going to purchase the LG DVDRAM GSA 4163B. Kenadjian, is this the model you are using?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Liberachie, don't forget to post back about that new burner and how you're making out...... :unsure:

Hello folks,

Got the LG DVDRAM GSA 4163B drive today and installed it. (you know...you have to wait a little while when you're too cheap to pay for shipping!)

it has burned the 2.4X DL Matrix DVD's (RICOHJPN-D00-01) with no problem. Ain't it nice when things work the way they're supposed to!! This is just too cool... B)

Hey, thanks to all of you for your help!

Hope the new year brings the best to all of you and leaves you with no new coasters....

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.