ImgBurn vs ImgTool Classic ?

scuzzy

Searching for tools to make an ISO image some months ago, I found and installed 'ImgTool Classic' by "Coujo" (http://www.coujo.de/).

It seems to make the ISO images okay (assembling from a list of files - not copying a disc), though in some recent tests I ran it seems to produce ISO files that are a couple of hundred bytes bigger than an ISO of the same files built by ImgBurn. Both ISOs are acceptable as input to ImgBurn in write mode.

ImgTool Classic can't burn, but it has a setup option to enable burning of the built image using either DVDProgramThatMustNotBeNamed or ImgBurn.

But I'm thinking that now I've found (and am happily using) ImgBurn, ImgTool is redundant and I might as well uninstall it. In fact the ImgTool author's website indicates he's thinking of abandoning the project anyway .. so it's all a bit dusty there.

As far as I can see, the only thing ImgTool gives me that ImgBurn doesn't is the ability to build-and-burn all in one operation .... or am I missing something in ImgBurn ? (Not seeking to knock either one here - just comparing features)

the ability to build-and-burn all in one operation .... or am I missing something in ImgBurn ?

seems like you are missing a lot by your post , have you read the guides section here? http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

Doh ! I had read some but not all of the tutorials. :blush:

I read Creating a single layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn, and Creating a double layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn, but for some inexplicable reason not Burning DVD Video files directly to double layer media with ImgBurn (I'm only just starting to play with DL media, so maybe my eyes auto-averted at the time).

I especially hadn't seen this crucial bit of your cluebat helpful tutorial :

"open ImgBurn in Build Mode and ensure it's set to output to Device"

I keep finding more and more bits of this astonishing piece of software - lots and lots of nifty features, just where you want them - it really is a delight. (I just hadn't noticed the "switch to device output" widget during my build sessions - too busy leaping for the "build" button)

/me about to remove ImgTool, tipping hat in direction of LUK and Cornholio7 :worthy:

Thanks very much ..... [exits muttering "Must RTFM better ... Must RTFM better ... Must RTFM better .........."]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.