Fooking Windoze

Shamus_McFartfinger

Stupid fukcing OS!! ARGH!! For the last year or so I've had an ordinary PC happily networked to everything else and haven't had any problems. 2 days ago I added a SATA RAID drive for a bit more storage space and fooking windoze said that I can no longer attach to the shared drive on the client side because there isn't sufficient space on the server. WTF?? 600gigs isn't enough? After swearing a great deal, I decided to do some reading and it turns out it's a common problem with Windoze NT4. The fact that I use Windoze 2000 (or NT6, I think), seems to be irrelevant.

The solution: create a regkey called "IRPStackSize", then make up a number between 20 and 500 and edit the regkey before rebooting. Damn thing seems to work fine but I'm wondering what "exactly" I've done. Anyone? L_UK? :blink:

That's just a standard Windoze feature to encourage you to fork over your hard earned :unsure: cash for the latest version of Windoze.

Looking at it another way, it's punishment for NOT having forked out to M$ lately.

Nope. That ain't it. Had it happen on another machine today for no apparent reason and it runs XP Pro. A shared drive on it worked just fine until this morning then my client pc's tell me there's not enough space on the server. It's got me fukced.

You have adjusted the value in reg on the Server and not the computer your getting the error on ?...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;285089

also

Subject: RE: Not enough server storage to process this command

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:58:18 -0400

Eric,

In fact, the point was that SRV pre-allocates its IRP pool, and thus the

size of the IRPs is an initialization choice. Thus, this is not dynamically

adjustable.

A filter driver CAN "deal with" this issue by using a different IRP, rather

than using the same IRP. This isn't a pleasant solution, but it does work.

In other words, when an IRP arrives into the filter, it builds a NEW Irp

with a sufficient number of stack locations (for the rest of the stack); of

course, to eliminate the "not enough server storage" error message, the

filter must set its own stack size field to be <= the IrpStackSize value (or

the default, if that isn't set.)

On completion of the NEW Irp, the filter must then complete the original IRP

(and might as well just free that "NEW" Irp at that point.)

Regards,

Tony

Edited by dontasciime

On completion of the NEW Irp, the filter must then complete the original IRP

(and might as well just free that "NEW" Irp at that point.)

:blink:

Things are so much clearer now. :overmyhead:

It still doesn't explain why something would fail for no reason when it's worked previously for ages. I can only guess that something has removed the regkey. ??

Sorry for the delay. Been busy.

That's a good idea, that is. I went looking through the registry on a few other machines and they have also had this regkey removed. The rotten bastard. Also had a HD die a quick and rather sudden death and a network card that refuses to work on a different pc. I love computers.

you gotta lovem em, otherwise your foot would get really sore.

I got to keep my feet chained together with the 1 computer that is fooking me off, its jinxed for sure, and i got do something with it today again, keeps giving errors that would seem to be mem rlated, psu related, sick of changing psu, and i know there is nothing wrong with the memory, as i have tested it loads and it always passes, one thing i might do is take out the radeon 9800 pro and stick the geforce 3 back in, as had ntohing but hasssle since i installed the ATI, especially as the ATI requires and sucks the juice out psu.

Edited by dontasciime

Having the same sort of problems with an Athlon3200. I'm sure the problem is related to the PCI Express (SIL? or whatever the hell it is) video card Thought it was a RAM problem so I replaced the RAM last week. No change. The rotten prick. I've had nothing but problems with this machine since the day it was built. Random crashes all of the time. (It absolutely hates Warcraft). I feel like drop-kicking the fukcing thing over the back fence. I certainly understand your frustration.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.