Creating SVCD or VCD

bdemchak

Hi --

I am having trouble creating an SVCD or VCD that my Panasonic DVD-F87 can read.

I'm burning the CD-R just fine ... ImgBurn seems very happy with the result, and the verify succeeds.

I can play an SVCD or VCD recorded this way on the InterVideo WinDVD 7 just fine, but when I load the disk into the Panasonic, it can't find any content. One thing that occurs to me is that the SVCD standard (http://www.spawns.dk/svcd/svcd.pdf) calls for a top level directory called "MPEG-2", but on my CDs, there is "MPEG2" (without the dash). Could this be the problem?? Or is this a session closing issue??? Or ????

Note that the reviews on the Panasonic DVD-F87 specifically talk about the unit playing VCDs and SVCDs well. So, I'm pretty sure the unit really does play these discs.

Do you have any idea what may be going on here??

Thanks!!

ImgBurn doesn't burn VCD/SVCD discs. They require 2 tracks and ImgBurn doesn't support anything other than 1.

Very strange. The help document for AVI to DVD/SVCD is very clear that ImgBurn should be used for SVCD recording. And I asked them specifically about your advice that it cannot work. They said that they do it all of the time, and there is no problem with it.

I'm attaching a PDF with the relevant portion of their help file.

Given this stark contradiction, I'm at a loss. What could I be missing???

Would it be worth posting a link to my .bin and .cue files ... for the purpose of checking them out??

Thanks.

AOneHelp.pdf

There might not be a problem with it in some players, but in ones that expect the discs to be written properly, ImgBurn's burns will fail.

Just open up the cue file in notepad.

You should see 2 track entries listed.

When you burn with ImgBurn, only 1 track gets created - and when burnt properly, there would be 2.

It's unusual for me to pass negative comments about my program, but I'm telling you, do not use it for VCD/SVCD - no matter what the AVI -> DVD/VCD people tell you.

Well ... your advice certainly tracks with my experience ... I think I pretty much have to take it.

The .cue file I got looks like this:

FILE "K:\AllokOutput\MySVCD\VideoCD.bin" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE2/2352

FLAGS DCP

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 MODE2/2352

FLAGS DCP

INDEX 00 00:04:00

INDEX 01 00:06:00

I have been looking around for a format definition on the web, and I haven't found it yet. Before I leave this topic, I'd like to get the satisfaction of understanding this file. Is there a reference you can point me to??

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.