your latest writer

dontasciime

LUK or anyone that wants to chip in, What is you latest Writer you rate the highest for burning/scanning/ must have jitter and +r to -rom.

I am looking at the latest NEC range but i notice they all are DVD-RAM, so i rightly or wrongly am concluding that these will be using panasonic chipset, thereby not having ability to do quality scans etc.

was looking for nec\ 4550 after seeing lfc's drive seems nowhere has them, i lost interest in nec after getting 3540 i think i gave it away hated the silver looked like cheap plastic.

cheers

I just bought a NEC AD-7170A. Despite being marketed under NEC's rubric, it's actually made by a company jointly owned/run by Sony and NEC.

It's called an "Optiarc"; I knew none of this until I got it installed--talk about OEM, it not only came with just the drive, but with no box, just in an open plastic bag, wrapped in bubble wrap and cushioned by bio-peanuts. And yes it does have 12x DVD-RAM capability (what the chipset is, I couldn't say). I just bought my first batch of 2x-3x Panasonic discs. (What a purty data surface they have...)

The website has NO info about any of the drives they make. NO download page for firmware or anything else. Just pictures of the drive. And I had to Google to find the English page. Everst's link was only to the Japanese site.

While my Plextor 760A can't run any quality tests (either DIPs or Nero CD-DVD Speed), the 7170A can run some of Nero CD-DVD's tests. Unfortunately, the jitter test isn't one of them.

I haven't had a chance to burn a DVD yet, so I don't have any IB/DIP burn graphs. (I just a few days ago replaced a malfunctioning Samsung drive with this one.)

The Plextor, of course, can run jitter tests with it's own software package, Plextools. But the Optiarc, as I said, literally came with nothing. I consider myself lucky it had a jumper.

So unfortunately, I can't give you jitter readings from the NEC drive.

LUK or anyone that wants to chip in, What is you latest Writer you rate the highest for burning/scanning/ must have jitter and +r to -rom.

I am looking at the latest NEC range but i notice they all are DVD-RAM, so i rightly or wrongly am concluding that these will be using panasonic chipset, thereby not having ability to do quality scans etc.

was looking for nec\ 4550 after seeing lfc's drive seems nowhere has them, i lost interest in nec after getting 3540 i think i gave it away hated the silver looked like cheap plastic.

cheers

I think you will need a BenQ mate to do the full scan tests incl jitter either that or a liteon as I believe they do them too ! My NEC drive is about a year old (maybe more now) but works A1 so don't really need to replace it yet. That said NEC have given up on producing any new firmware for it which is why it's bombing out on some of the new media ID's I am currently testing. :)

yep, have a look at the thread about philips/liteon/benq etc, it may do jitter to a degree but cannot scan anything with it.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=2986&hl=

let me know if the images come up as the last 2 will not display on my computer due to packet loss

Edited by dontasciime

I'm not sure if it's only the new liteon's that do jitter and afaik, only cdspeed can report it. (well, and liteon's own crappy looking dvdscan program)

The new dvdinfopro might do it now too, I've not checked.

My LiteON (which I know supports jitter) is the LH-18A1H model.

yeah i don't think mine support it in cd speed so looking to get another couple of burners for the verbs i got from states as it seems my new benq 1670 is shit at dual layer and also the 160 is hit and miss with them (better with my uk verbs) my 1635s seems ok on both US and UK verbs (the 160 used to be fantastic) i updated the posts i made in the pinned verb topic with a scan from the benq 1670 using the verbs from US

Edited by dontasciime

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.