Change Book Type of SONY DVD RW DW-D23A

marbi

I'm having problems when I want to change the book type of my drive to DVD-ROM while burning DVD+R DL media.

I set the book type to DVD-ROM for next write when I'm going to burn a DVD+R DL, so after the burning process is done I check the book type of the writed media and is not DVD-ROM for my surprise is DVD+R DL otherwise.

I'm changing the book type in LITE-ON tab for the next write.

Could be any problem of my drive ? Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Attached info extracted with DVDInfo.

Thanks in advance.

post-5732-1168987330_thumb.jpg

Edited by marbi

try liteon tab and choose drive (for DVD+R DL Media) then set to DVD-ROM press ok and wait for success (this would need to be done everytime you restart computer)

Or try the drive (for DVD+R DL Media -EEPROM) set to dvd-rom, this will remember the setting everytime you use a dvd+r DL

Edited by dontasciime

I've tried it and when I restart my computer the settings aren't stored in the EEPROM while using (for DVD+R DL Media -EEPROM) option, they are still normal for all media types.

I've burned two DVD+R DL, one changing book type for DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM using (for DVD+R DL Media). And the second using (for Next Write) option. And the burned media book type is DVD+R DL.

The last recorded are talking to me that was DVD+R DL...

I'm thinking that is a problem of my drive. I don't understand what's going on, but it seems that the drive doesn't store the changes of the book type.

I'm trying to store the changes in EEPROM and in the next reboot the settings are the default again.

I'm going to try with a DVD+RW, because I don't want to waste more DVD+R DL and don't want to make more coasters.

I was looking at cdfreaks forums and I found this, I think I'm getting same problems...

The post is this: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=201025

from what i can see that drive is a liteon 1653s and can be cross flashed to that. once a liteon you could then find the book type function will work correctly

this would be at your own risk though..

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=...ghlight=DW-D23A

if you have bundled software look at that post and the link to download the firmware, note also that the link says CSOM but its newer than that CSOT after you download it.

about the bundled software bit, i read that as if you change it to a liteon drive the bundled software will not recognise your drive, so if that is the case and you want to use the bundled software still, then look at the bit about applying sonyid.

Edited by dontasciime

I'm amazed it's not working if the booktype functions are saying 'Success' when you try them.

The 'next write' one is an old command really so i'd stick with the eeprom settings for whatever media you want to change the booktype on.

If it's not working, there's not much any of us can do. Try cross flashing to the real LiteOn version as described in the post above by dontasciime.

Well, I'm so confused right now.

I'm going to try again, but I'm sure that I tried to change values using EEPROM options and while rebooting my computer the settings were changed to normal.

Is there any software that allow to change the book type for LITE-ON / SONY drives?

I'm going to try changing book type with DVDInfoPro and then burning with ImgBurn. Let's see what will happen.

If finally nothing will work, I'll try the cross flashing. Could I make a backup of my current firmware drive using mtkflash ?

Thanks to everybody for the support.

Edited by marbi

ImgBurn should work fine for the booktype stuff on LiteOn / Sony drives.... it certainly works fine on all the ones I have.

DVDInfoPro's LiteOn code hasn't been updated in ages and so really only supports the first generation of their booktype code - whereas I've personally tried ImgBurn on their new 18x burners and know it works fine.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=112103

download the firmware you have

http://rapidshare.com/files/12142588/Sony.....stock.rar.html

and here is another util by code guys that will backup up your firmware as well as let you flash etc.

http://rapidshare.com/files/12143052/Flash...-2.0.0.rar.html

Edited by dontasciime

http://rapidshare.com/files/12142588/Sony.....stock.rar.html

and here is another util by code guys that will backup up your firmware as well as let you flash etc.

Thanks for the Flash utily. I've made a backup of my current firmware. Mine is CYS3 version, different from the one posted at The Firmware Page (same as posted by you)

Otherwise, before I'll try cross flashing, I'll test again book type setting with DVD+R and DVD+RW (don't have DL media for now) using ImgBurn only as commented by LIGHTNING UK!

Tests I'm doing:

Well, I don't understand nothing...

I'm changing book type to DVD-ROM for all media types using EEPROM option, but while rebooting the computer they come back to NORMAL for all media types (like I said in this post).

I've tried changing to DVD-ROM using option Current Media (For DVD+RW Media), of course, inserting a DVD+RW in the drive. For my surprise when I reboot the computer and I check if the settings are changed or not, for Current Media (For DVD+RW Media) the book type is still DVD-ROM. Is this normal ? What's exactly this option ?

This is the only option that is preserved, but... Why if I select option Next Write or Drive (For DVD+RW Media) the settings for DVD+RW is Normal ????

Edited by marbi

could you upload the cys3 firmware to rapidshare please rar it if you can first or zip, thanks

when you say I'm changing book type to DVD-ROM for all media types using EEPROM option

is that actually an option as you can only do it for dvd+r dvd+rw and dvd+r DL

Edited by dontasciime

could you upload the cys3 firmware to rapidshare please rar it if you can first or zip, thanks

when you say I'm changing book type to DVD-ROM for all media types using EEPROM option

is that actually an option as you can only do it for dvd+r dvd+rw and dvd+r DL

Yes, I know that the book type changes is for DVD+R/+RW/+R DL. I was trying to say for all options in LITE-ON tab.

I have burned a DVD+RW with book type changed to DVD-ROM and was correctly burned.

You could download SONY DVDRW DW-D23A CYS3 Original Firmware here

@dontasciime

Maybe I'll use OmniPatcher from codeguys to make a custom-patched firmware, just enabling auto-bitsetting.

Edited by marbi

from what i can see that drive is a liteon 1653s and can be cross flashed to that. once a liteon you could then find the book type function will work correctly

this would be at your own risk though..

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=...ghlight=DW-D23A

if you have bundled software look at that post and the link to download the firmware, note also that the link says CSOM but its newer than that CSOT after you download it.

about the bundled software bit, i read that as if you change it to a liteon drive the bundled software will not recognise your drive, so if that is the case and you want to use the bundled software still, then look at the bit about applying sonyid.

I'm amazed it's not working if the booktype functions are saying 'Success' when you try them.

The 'next write' one is an old command really so i'd stick with the eeprom settings for whatever media you want to change the booktype on.

If it's not working, there's not much any of us can do. Try cross flashing to the real LiteOn version as described in the post above by dontasciime.

Well, finally I decided to crossflashing my drive using codeguys patched firmware for this drive, known as LITE-ON SOHW-1653S.

So finally I could change book type and store the changes in the EEPROM, also while rebooting (not like with the original sony firmware).

I haven't tested yet, but I suppose that all will be ok while burning (just only tested with a DVD+RW) since when rebooting my computer and checking book type in ImgBurn, all settings kept right.

Thanks for all guys.

post-5732-1169155039_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.