Interesting read - HD-DVD Vs Blu-Ray

Shamus_McFartfinger

From my understanding of it after reading someone Else's views, findings from someone who owns the 2 rival formats, is that hd dvd is the better option, picture quality is better (both capable of same output) , the navigation and added features you can use on hd dvd are better than the equivalent on blu ray which are pretty poor in comparison to being able to sync the special features with main title using hd dvd picture in picture mode (it's not called that but same thing)

I would play it safe and get either or both of these.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/07/lg...ils_multi-blue/

I could only decided when i have access to both formats, trying hard to get hold of an hd dvd player ad-don for xbox 360 UK out of stock and i wanted it asap as it comes with king kong Hd and remote for limited period only.

Ebay sellers have some but want like 180 when they are only 129.99 actually can get one for 123.99 just not at the minute.

What i would like is the lg dual format (sound familiar) burner.

Ignoring the obvious higher capacity of both formats for a minute, what exactly is the average end user going to gain from buying all this expensive hardware? 50 million more colours and/or pixels on the screen? 9.1 surround sound? Current DVD quality isn't what you'd call crap. It's crisp. It looks brilliant and sounds brilliant. Bluray/HDDVD will certainly increase storage space but it's not that exciting when you consider that the majority of it will be filled by the video content that used to fit onto a DVD.

The measure of quality isn't how many colours you can pack onto a screen nor how many new whizzbang things it can do. It's defined by the end user and what they think. The fact that VCRs are still being sold should be a wake up call for those in the electronics industry currently nursing a semi in regard to the money they anticipate making with the uptake of these new products.

I am sure I read that the human eye can't see most of these millions of colours anyway :lol:

As for VCR's they are quite hard to get hold of now here in England Shamus, most if not all of the mainstream electrical retailers have stopped selling them. You can still get them mail order tho...

While VCR's are still sold at pretty much all local electronics stores here, very few stores actually carry pre-recorded VCR tapes. I imagine they're really only used for temporary TV recording for those who can't afford / justify the purchase of a DVD / Hard Drive Recorder.

Having never been one to buy big expensive TV's (rather spend the money elsewhere), there's no real benefit to me of HD-DVD / Blue-Ray. Probably only get one if prices are comparable when my existing PC writer / Standalone player dies. Can't see too many titles being released exclusively on the new formats for quite a long time to come.

Edited by zacoz

I would see some benefit of HD as HD tv/monitor i have is only any good when an hd source is passed to it, tft is pretty poor under composite/ scart/ tuner / absolutely stunning under high def e.g xbox(ntsc) and xbox 360 and no doubt the hd dvd player addon for 360, if only I could get hold of one at a reasonable price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.