Buffer Recovery

Racer

As mentioned in a previous post, there must be some issue with sending data to the drive then - and it's out of ImgBurn's hands.

Check your filter drivers using the free tool from http://www.bustrace.com and remove any rubbish you find.

You can put it's info in the clipboard and paste it on here if you like, then we'll help point out the bad ones (if there are any).

You really don't need a 256MB buffer, as you've seen, normally when there are problems it's the 'software buffer -> drive' communication that suffers, not 'hdd -> software buffer'. The default values work best, that's why they're default! I have 4GB of RAM and I still only use a 20MB one (or 40MB in the newer version of ImgBurn - as yet unreleased).

Again, if you can get us a DVDInfoPro screenshot of the 'ImgBurn Graph Data' it would help use to see what you're seeing. NEC drives perform WOPC as they burn so I'd expect the device buffer to drop to 0 every now and then anyway.

bustrace sucks!!!

You need to be a F'g corporation with a web site to even download their damned demo !!!

If you look at the top blue line you'll see that your CPU %usage was at 100% whenever the device buffer goes mad. So the two are linked, you just need to find out what's causing it.

Next time it does it, bring up task manager and find which process is using all the CPU time.

As for filter drivers, you should remove this one: siremfil.sys

It's known to cause problems.

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Device Object: NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 SCSI CdRom Device

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Driver Name: redbook.sys

File Location: l:\win2003\system32\drivers

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

File Version: 5.2.3790.1830

Product Name: Microsoft? Windows? Operating System

Product Version: 5.2.3790.1830 [5.2.3790.1830]

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: pxhelp20.sys

File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP

File Version: 2.03.28a [2.3.28.0]

Product Name: PxHelp20

Product Version: [2.0.0.0]

Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Should I remove pxhelp20.sys and what they heck does it do?

Also, HOW do I disable if that's appropriate. I'm sick of my buffer

getting empty when I use 4X or faster.

If you look at the top blue line you'll see that your CPU %usage was at 100% whenever the device buffer goes mad. So the two are linked, you just need to find out what's causing it.

Next time it does it, bring up task manager and find which process is using all the CPU time.

As for filter drivers, you should remove this one: siremfil.sys

It's known to cause problems.

Device Object: NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 SCSI CdRom Device

Should I remove pxhelp20.sys and what they heck does it do?

Also, HOW do I disable if that's appropriate. I'm sick of my buffer

getting empty when I use 4X or faster.

OOPS! Wrong device but same question ...

Device Object: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: imapi.sys

File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

Edited by Dolt

burn proof has always worked for me so I really dont know why you dislike it so much its a positive thing and with it enabled you dont make coasters when and if the burffers empty .

If you hate Burnproof so much then go Tools ,Settings ,Write and remove the check from "enable burnproof".Other than checking the boxes that open the tray after read ,write and verify all my settings are default IMGburn works best with defaults

Nec makes a very good drive in my opinion and my 3500 just makes great burns time after time I haven't bought another newer one because I'm not going to fix whats not broken I also have a 2500 and it works perfectly also and a Sony dru 510A my first burner and it also turns out beautifull burns .Its a real Sony when they were actually making their own drives Lite ON makes drives for them now that they rebadge

Its important to keep your firmware up to date so that it supports the latest media codes and the other little tweaks they make with the newer versions

the discs that you say burn ok and can't be read with your player I dont believe is the fault of burnproof ,its usually down to media ,overcompression or a player that might be old enough to not support some of the formats ,its suggested that you booktype your dvd's to dvd-rom for compatibility but the 3500 wont support booktyping SL + meddia although you can use a cracked firmware which will support it www.liggydee.cdfreaks.com

If you can burn an ISO and then verify it OK then thats checking the burned disc against the ISO on your hard drive ,you should take note of where on the burned discs you have a problem and then Download Daemon tools ,its a virtual drive which you can mount the ISO in and watch it and see if the errors are in the ISO itself

I wish I had a 3540A, everything I can read shows they didn't have the buffer problems of the 3550A.

The best drive I ever had was a DRW-3S163 which burned 6X perfectly, the buffer never got empty,

but the Lite-On drives I tried that they market under their own name are crap. The buffer empties

and it slows down to 1.2X or some junk. Utter garbage! I've tried the SHM-160P6S, SHM-160H6S

AND SHM-165H6S and they're all junk. Interestingly, the DRW-3S163 weighs 4 pounds instead of

the 2 pounds of the other drives. I suspect it uses metal parts instead of cheap plastic. Also, the

Pioneer DVR-110D fails to keep it's buffer full as well. Only the DRW-3S163 seems to respond

and fill it's buffer before it gets too empty at anything above 2X. So, I'm stuck using an NEC

3550A at only 2X which can manage to keep it buffer full. This seems to happen under Windows

2000 Pro., 2000 Adv. Server, XP and 2003. I currently don't have XP/2003 x64 installed but I

expect it to be a similar problem.

<_<

As it (kinda) says, pxhelp20 is part of the driver system installed by software using the 'Sonic Solutions' I/O interface. LOADS of programs use it and I see it all the time (even on my own PC's). It won't be the cause of your buffer emptying all the time.

Do you have an IBG / DVDInfoPro screenshot showing what you're seeing?

As I've mentioned several times before, it's normal for the buffer to empty out every so often (due to WOPC). This is especially true on NEC drives.

From your previous post I'd have to say you have much bigger issues! It's certainly not the drives at fault here. I've got a cupboard full of drives and I've never had buffer issues on any of them. You're barking up the wrong tree.

my liteon buffers do not empty They kinda Flat Line

ty30wt.png

Think you would be better off, reinstalling your operating system and keeping things simple eg just imgburn SPTI, your mobo drivers, maybe just stick with ms ide drivers and test your drives, if still does the same you would need to be looking at either your cables are screwed or the ide controllers.

Edited by dontasciime

As it (kinda) says, pxhelp20 is part of the driver system installed by software using the 'Sonic Solutions' I/O interface. LOADS of programs use it and I see it all the time (even on my own PC's). It won't be the cause of your buffer emptying all the time.

Do you have an IBG / DVDInfoPro screenshot showing what you're seeing?

As I've mentioned several times before, it's normal for the buffer to empty out every so often (due to WOPC). This is especially true on NEC drives.

From your previous post I'd have to say you have much bigger issues! It's certainly not the drives at fault here. I've got a cupboard full of drives and I've never had buffer issues on any of them. You're barking up the wrong tree.

I click on the Upload button but all I get is the swirling pattern and no activity.

• 1 month later...

About my previous post, I've resolved my empty device buffer problem : It was caused by speedfan (great freeware btw) where each minute it was using smart to refresh the hd temperatures, and the device buffer was dropping at exactly these moments... (I've let a bug report at the speedfan website, in case to trying to figure the what the problem could be)

I have the same problem with my buffer. CD/DVDs will not burn at above 0.8x! The device buffer will get to 70-80% then empty again continuously. This also happens in Nero. I recently reinstalled windows and before I could burn at 16x.

I am using Infiniti DVD-R 16x on a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N.

Using Windows XP, Core 2 E6600, Asus P5B, 2GB RAM, 150GB WD RAPTOR, WD SATA 500GB, WD 500GB RAID0.

The problem occurs on whatever drive I try to burn from. All disk are defragmented and I have tried disabling antivirus and any other running software but I can't get above 0.8x DVD burning which takes over an hour!

Help!

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 14 March 2007, 22:51:48

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 21:42:44 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 21:42:44 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:42:44 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,300 KB - Available: 1,601,948 KB

I 21:42:44 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:42:44 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:42:44 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD?RW/RAM!

I 21:42:51 Operation Started!

I 21:42:51 Source File: D:\video\manufacturing landscapes.iso

I 21:42:51 Source File Sectors: 2,172,240 (MODE1/2048)

I 21:42:51 Source File Size: 4,448,747,520 bytes

I 21:42:51 Source File Volume Identifier: DVD

I 21:42:51 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.1.0.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 21:42:51 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 21:42:51 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 21:42:51 Destination Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N JL10 (F:) (ATA)

I 21:42:51 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: UME02) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 16x)

I 21:42:51 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888

I 21:42:51 Write Mode: DVD

I 21:42:51 Write Type: DAO

I 21:42:51 Write Speed: MAX

I 21:42:51 Link Size: Auto

I 21:42:51 Test Mode: No

I 21:42:51 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 21:42:51 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)

I 21:42:52 Writing LeadIn...

I 21:43:21 Writing Image...

I 22:50:25 Synchronising Cache...

I 22:50:46 Image MD5: 795f10e1987ac9d37544a9ecd9aeddf8

I 22:50:54 File Successfully Deleted: D:\video\manufacturing landscapes.iso

I 22:50:54 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 01:07:54

I 22:50:54 Average Write Rate: 1,079 KB/s (0.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 1,472 KB/s (1.1x)

I 22:51:48 Close Request Acknowledged

I 22:51:48 Closing Down...

I 22:51:48 Shutting down SPTI...

I 22:51:48 ImgBurn closed!

Nero Info Tool output is attached to this post

InfoTool.txt

Edited by somabc

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, the magic phrase was finally uttered, PIO. I got that clue early on, when someone mentioned that the CPU usage spikes when the buffer dies.

PIO = using CPU to move data around, at very slow speeds. Normally this data-movement is done by the controller.

At any rate, Windows hit its infamous problem of decreasing maximum transfer rate, for no apparent reason, without being able to restore the maximum speed via any user interface. Oh, how I love Windows. It tends to create threads this long for such problems.

(I'm high as a kite right now so... pardon my rambling. XD)

Run this... then go back to device manager, set to PIO mode, then back to DMA. Bam, on the fly, you'll be set to UDMA mode once again, and your burning problems will be no more. :teehee:

FixDMA.reg

It tells Windows to quit limiting your disk drives... it writes to the most common location for the ATA controller settings, so it should work.

Wonder why this thread went dead before the solution was found though? :unsure:

Windows XP will often get confused and report that a drive IS running in DMA mode when in reality, it's not. To fix this, Uninstall the IDE/ATA Controller (NOT the Channels!!!) from under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers branch (again in Device Manager) and reboot your PC. Windows will 'find' it again when it boots back up. DMA will be enabled by default.

I still say my solution is more elegant and doesn't require a reboot. ^-^

edit: in fact, can even be done while the disc is burning, under some configurations, I believe.

Edited by Falcon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.